Thread: red rocket or rtx2080 for RED Epic MX

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 red rocket or rtx2080 for RED Epic MX 
    Hello!
    Please help me with advice!
    We already have RED Epic MX, working with it
    Аor this system I'm going to build a computer, based on coffe lake cpu Intel Core i7 9700K and z390 chipset
    for work in Adobe Prime and color grade in Davinchi Resolve free

Will I have enough for the smooth and fast operation of the RTX 2080, or will I still need to purchase a second-hand Red Rocket card?

Without having tested these two alternatives:

If you are on MX, you would need the original Rocket which by now is a veeeeery old piece of hardware with limited support and a history of breaking down hardware wise. (I have personally seen quite a few "go" for non-logical reasons)

With a GPU, you are on the right and modern road. If you are not happy, it's possible to update without taking a huge hit.

As I am a huge advocate of proxy-workflows, I have no idea what "raw" performance to expect in Premiere. I have observed a few recent projects edited that way, and would still be cautious, unless it is extremely controlled. Especially the Premiere built-in proxy workflow has given productions I have been following huge issues in conform for online (meaning: assembling your project in Resolve)

I would do the RTX every day, though and not even think about the old Rocket.
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Gunleik Groven, thanks a lot!

a 9700k and 2080 (or better yet, 2080Ti) will be fine in Premiere with MX .r3d. Especially when Premiere is updated to utilize the latest GPU debayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Abay Umurzakov View Post
    Hello!
    Please help me with advice!
    We already have RED Epic MX, working with it
    Аor this system I'm going to build a computer, based on coffe lake cpu Intel Core i7 9700K and z390 chipset
    for work in Adobe Prime and color grade in Davinchi Resolve free

Will I have enough for the smooth and fast operation of the RTX 2080, or will I still need to purchase a second-hand Red Rocket card?
    The new Ryzen R9-3900x can de-code/crypt/compress your source material in realtime (has about the same speed as a threadripper 1950x or 2950x with davinci resolve, but is a lot faster with Adobe PP) and you get a good enough cooler for free.
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1869...x-ryzen-3700x/
    R9-3900x + RTX 2060 super (or RX 5700 xt) should do the trick (independent of GPU decode support).

And it's cheaper.

When you do a lot of effects like heavy noise reduction you need more VRAM and you will have to step up to RTX2080ti(11GByte) or Radeon VII(16GB).
    Last edited by Misha Engel; 07-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.

The RED Rocket does not support debayering for IPP2. I would not recommend investing in older cards like that.

My a51M dell laptop is really nice with my gemini red raw files. I would get an RTX card over a rocket or rocket x. get the 2080TI or get the 2080 super that just came out
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

RED Rocket and RED Rocket-X cards have been surpassed by nVidia support. I'd suggest flipping to IPP2 workflow and, if you're on PC, get an nVidia card to power through your footage. If you are on Apple, as of now, the best machine to work with RED footage is an iMac Pro and an eGPU isn't going to improve things. (This will change with the new Mac Pro, obviously.)

I have both a Red Rocket-X and a great nVidia card so my pc and software can pull whatever it needs. I bought an R1 and the card was sent with it, so I ran the drivers and software for it...If its cheap i don't think it will hurt anything.