Thread: Internal vs External RAID

Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

1. #1 Internal vs External RAID 
    Hi folks,
    I'm looking at re-doing my whole PC setup (solo shooter/editor) and I'd like advice on whether to use an internal RAID with a large case or have an external raid with USB 3.0. I occasionally get clients with Mac-formatted media, so I'm also considering building a small RAID1 server so that both my Mac and PC can connect to transfer data without giving myself a headache. Any advice would be appreciated.

Internal RAID will be a lot faster and more reliable if your alternative is external USB. Beyond that it becomes a huge discussion about how to build your RAID...

A server volume that Macs and PCs can connect to for offloading is a great way to do it. But you will want 10GE, TB or at least USB 3.1 5Ggbps connectivity so it can at least keep up with the camera media. You can roll your own just fine, but depending on your time and other resources, you may be better off with an off-the-shelf solution from QNAP or Synology or similar. Also depending on your intended usage, just having a network volume on your workstation RAID may do all you need.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

An internal raid gets faster the USB3

If using an external raid I would go TB2, TB3 or fiber or such.

Edit: jeff was faster.

Correct if working in a group or even as a your own volt sort of speak. Qnap is really nice. we got a big one and I really like its features and how I can share folders with clients etc. As an FTP.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Just an FYI, if you decide to go internal RAID I have an Atto R608 for sale in the marketplace. http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...AID-controller

Hey all,
    Thank you for the responses! I appreciate the feedback from folks who are elbow-deep in this stuff as well.

I'm opting for an internal RAID (thank you Mike for the card) and will build up a media server. I'm debating if I want it to be my main editing rig or a separate server attached to a UPS and connected with a fast connection. My current editing rig is a jerry-rigged gaming computer with a cheap external RAID and a few externals. Disaster waiting to happen so I'm trying to be methodical and sort out a long-term solution that will meet my needs. My largest single project has been about 2.5 TB of media files.