Thread: Sigma Cine Classics

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sigma Cine Classics 
    https://www.fdtimes.com/2019/07/11/s...lassic-primes/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/7023894...ine-art-primes

Summary : most likely fully single coated on every element of Art/Cine Series primes.

All existing art/cine series should be available. More info around IBC time.

Slower Tstop because of less light transmission due to coating change.
    Last edited by Dan Kanes; 07-13-2019 at 03:20 PM.

So we are now getting click bait threads here? sliding fast haha ;-)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Things I know and thoughts on the announcements.

Sigma Cine Classics: Basic concept, they've removed the coatings, don't think that means "every coating".

Due to this, they are smidge less efficient at gathering light, no biggy as these are all about the character.

It's the full Sigma Cine "high speed" set, but instead of mostly T1.5 and T2 optics, the SCC's are T2.5 and T3.2. This will cover the entire set of 14-135mm primes.

Official word on pricing hasn't been released, but that's incoming. They are very flare prone, sort of the point of the whole thing.

Sigma also announced some new L-Mount glass (L-Mount Alliance), EOS-M glass (actually news to me that this was going on at all), and a few zooms. I do hope that some of their newer efforts eventually get the EOS-RF mount treatment at some point, I know the alliance isn't about that, but there's more Canon RF bodies incoming and they've been moving bodies. Lack of glass is an issue in that world.

The big news, is Sigma is getting back into the camera game with the Sigma fp (it's lowercase). 24.6 Megapixels, can shoot 4K 24p, is full frame 35mm, and is also alarmingly small. To note, it's bayer and not Foveon. They are targeting our industry a bit with the director's viewfinder mode with a rear attachment that will support a few popular formats and aspect ratios.

Leica had a similar "mode" planned a few years back, but it died on the floor withering of incompetent execution :( But it would have been nice.

They key selling point of the fp is it's size, I believe it's currently the smallest full frame 35mm format camera on the market.

To note, they are also developing a Foveon based imager 5520x3680 (20 megapixels) and yes they are still marketing Foveon as X3 the resolution, so they are stating it's a 60.9 megapixel resolution. Which is still part of Foveon's negatively received marketing as the pixel resolution you get versus that number are rather different things. Either way, I'm excited to see it. Fan of the sensor technology, not a fan of the marketing strategy.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    So we are now getting click bait threads here? sliding fast haha ;-)
    You clicked, so I guess it worked.

Too bad I'm not getting anything out of it except free disbursement of information that does nothing for me at all except try to help the community.

best retort I have to your comment is:

"When you're sliding into Third and you a feel a ..."

you fill in the rest.
    Last edited by Dan Kanes; 07-13-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Things I know and thoughts on the announcements...

They are targeting our industry a bit with the director's viewfinder mode with a rear attachment that will support a few popular formats and aspect ratios.
    the Director's viewfinder aspect doesn't make much sense to me, as you would want a sensor large enough to cover "all" of the "open gate" formats for larger sensor cameras if a person is concerned about all available FOV's...

example:

fp sensor : slightly less than 36x24mm...
    Red VV sensor : 40.96x21.60mm...
    Arri LF sensor : 36.70 mm x 25.54 mm

Not the end of the world as you could viewfind all formats encapsulated within the FOV of the fp sensor, but larger than that and you're in trouble...

still, if you're viewfinding "~S35-ish" or Full-height anamorphic, it's slick.

Please don't consider this negative or bashing on the concept - as everyone around here (the internet? the world?) has itchy trigger fingers these days.

I'm an eternal optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post

"When you're sliding into first and you feel something burst..."

you fill in the rest.
    Is that a warning about things coming here? It's not going to be pretty haha

is the big deal about the Sigma fp, is that it's full frame and can output RAW video?

Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    For raw video data, the SIGMA fp supports 12-bit CinemaDNG external recording. With 4K UHD/24fps recording, it produces video data that can be used even in filmmaking. It also supports ALL-I recording which is optimal for editing H.264 compressed videos.

For video output, it uses USB3.1(GEN1), which allows a smooth data transmission to an external recording unit. As it also supports cinema camera-like user interfaces, the SIGMA fp is a camera that can be taken straight to video production settings.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    More information here as it becomes available...
    I aggressively cleaned the front element of my Canon L 24-70mm with a KimWipe and now I’m one of the only people out there with a Canon L “Classic” lens.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    I aggressively cleaned the front element of my Canon L 24-70mm with a KimWipe and now I’m one of the only people out there with a Canon L “Classic” lens.