Thread: Help Me Upgrade from a 2014 iMac to... ??? (within the Mac family)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    I just saw Apple is now selling refurbished 2019 iMacs with the i9 processors.

From comparison videos between the 2019 iMac and the 2017 iMac Pro, it seems they're very close on a number of things, so I'm now considering buying a base model and upgrading the RAM to 64 or 128gb - can anyone see a downside to doing this?
    Do you ever shoot more than 4K with your RED camera? If you, you will sincerely regret having a max of 4GB GPU RAM. I regret the heck out of having only 6GB GPU VRAM in my dual 700s on my old new Mac Pro. I don't regret having 16GB GPU RAM in my iMac Pro, though I do regret the whole stupid RR-X over TB3 and only a single GPU when, in fact, I really could use 2x or 4x the GPU power right now.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Do you ever shoot more than 4K with your RED camera? If you, you will sincerely regret having a max of 4GB GPU RAM. I regret the heck out of having only 6GB GPU VRAM in my dual 700s on my old new Mac Pro. I don't regret having 16GB GPU RAM in my iMac Pro, though I do regret the whole stupid RR-X over TB3 and only a single GPU when, in fact, I really could use 2x or 4x the GPU power right now.
    Ah I see - my goal was to get the 128GB RAM upgrade from OWC, and with the 2019 iMac, grab the one with Radeon Pro Vega 48 with 8GB of HBM2 memory, and then grab an eGPU down the line.

I've been shooting at 6K on my Mg and work with the generated 2K ProRes LT proxies until the end where I reconnect.