Thread: Digital Juice 8' x 8' or Scrim Jim (8' x 8') or other?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Digital Juice 8' x 8' or Scrim Jim (8' x 8') or other? 
    Im looking for a 8' x 8' Butterfly Frame that is sturdy but that you can easely disamble to bring out side of the studio. First of im looking at the Digital Juice 8' x 8' Butterfly Frame Kit wich seams to be little of a classic. Im sure alot of redusers have one or more of those some where. How do you like it? It seams pretty good. Is there an eggcrate grid addon to this aswell?

Secondly im comparing it to the Scrim Jim (8' x 8') from westcott. Westcott has some interestging kits with the scrim jim that im interested in. But im not sure how good it is to use velcro to hold the different fabrics?

Do you have one of the above, and would you recommend it? or do you have something else you like to recommend?
    Last edited by Joel Arvidsson; 07-01-2019 at 02:46 AM. Reason: wanted to ad keywords
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I bought the scrim jim set up with the same reasoning thinking it would be an easy portable solution. The velcro holds well and it is really easy to assemble/disassemble and pack up. They are very bendy tho especially if you build it up to an 8x8. Also the 3/4 baby pin mount holds up in studio work but if you're doing anything outside a wind will easily bend it. It sucks because i really like the concept but I've found its almost as easy to just get a solid 8x8 frame with ears and corners. Quickness of assembly is about the same and for what you gain with portability you loose in sturdiness. I would recommend it if you're just doing studio work or minimal interiors.

I have two of the Digital Juice kits. I like them. They are solid - except for the cases. The cases really are shitty and end up falling apart. The zippers break and the material rips. However, the product itself works well. I seem to recall they were much less expensive than other like products, which was a selling point. BTW, always try to but DJ products "on sale" or some special pricing, otherwise you are probably overpaying.

Last caution is that the silks attach with about 30 little bungee cords and those can get lost easily since they are not attached to either the frame or the silk. I am always barely to put them right into a bag and even bundle them together as much as possible.

The frames are pretty solid, easy to transport, easy to set up.

I hope that helps.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

I never much liked the digital juice frames. Instead I feel that just getting some aluminum tube and frame corners/ears from matthews works alot better, is extremely durable, and convenient incase you're indoors and you just wanna t-bone a piece of rail and rag.

I LOVE the Scrim Jim. I have a 6 x 6 that I use all of the time. Easy to collapse and setup. Portable.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Thanks, I might get the smaller scrim jim 6x6 and just build a solid aluminum frame that's around 8x8. We did build a large butterfly frame for studio use like that. Once assembled the rubber bands keeping the frame together solid.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

For 6x6 I actually like the chimera ones. So light and quick to assemble. Packs very small too.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I just broke a Digital Juice frame. The hinge snapped which is the weakest part of the design.

I've had the 6x6 Scrim Jim for about 7 years and love it. The silk and holds up well with the velcro, and I have a double that I skin with the standard sash. It's great for doc and interview shoots, but I wouldn't use it on a full G&E shoot, where better tools would be available.
    justin chin
    infinite machine
    www.infinitemachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    I have two of the Digital Juice kits. I like them. They are solid - except for the cases. The cases really are shitty and end up falling apart. The zippers break and the material rips. However, the product itself works well. I seem to recall they were much less expensive than other like products, which was a selling point. BTW, always try to but DJ products "on sale" or some special pricing, otherwise you are probably overpaying.

Last caution is that the silks attach with about 30 little bungee cords and those can get lost easily since they are not attached to either the frame or the silk. I am always barely to put them right into a bag and even bundle them together as much as possible.

The frames are pretty solid, easy to transport, easy to set up.

I hope that helps.
    True on all points especially the buy "on sale" part. Design wise, the joints are the weakest points. Once you understand this and don't fold in the wrong direction, you are cool. Got 2 units for over 5 years.
    Scarlet MX
    2 RAVENs
    2 GEMINI
    MONSTRO