Thread: Dumping files to Hard Drive without Computer

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Dumping files to Hard Drive without Computer 
    I'm planing a trip to Africa and I want to avoid at all cost taking my computer and I was wondering if there is something in the market to automatic backup my stuff to a hard drive.

Something like this: https://www.gnarbox.com

The issue there it is that it hasn't been released but Im looking for something that has TWO usb-C so I can download from the mini-mag to the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Any options with an iPad Pro?

Best

Rodrigo
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

They don't have USB C to hard drive and max speed is 150MB :(
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

You're chasing a ghost at the moment. I have yet to feel good about any of the headless offloaders.

The value behind a modest notebook that can get 4-8+ hours of use while dimming the screen that can playback and QC footage as well as serving as the platform to go out to multiple backups is still the best solution.

I would aim at auxillary power solutions if that is a concern for a standard day, but I'll reveal the harder truth that I actually has soolved most of my real world issues when filming on set and abroad.

Carry enough media to roll for the duration you're filming until it's convenient for you or your DIT or Data Manager to offload. Yes, if you're in the field for over a week you'll want a solution to download. But if we are talking daily or even multiple daily tasks. I prefer having media on hand.

Runs and hides.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Just tried connecting a RED mini-mag reader to an iPad Pro over USB-C, and it doesn't read the media correctly it looks like in the current iPadOS public beta. Should theoretically be possible but just not a very likely use case. Much better to use a MBP for this so you can offload to external devices with multiple TB3 busses.

That Gnarbox looks like it could work fo your needs, but it is just a small computer that is quite expensive.

What about an SSD duplicator? Pop in the RedMag and dupe it to a cheaper SSD?

Very interested in this as well. Traveling to a "hot zone" and trying to minimize electronics...sort of not possible with the computers. In fact I usually bring two, so they can be charged with generators when I get back and then I can run dual backups simultaneously without having to get up in the middle of the night or rely on wall power which is never consistent.

I don't want to start a catfight with respect to the merits of using non-Red proprietary media but a google search did turn this up: http://www.cinemartin.com/teodored/

I haven't used it, bet its not supported by Red, but if you wanna roll the dice the marketing materials seem to suggest its an option for what you want.

A nexto di can serve you well, I would recommend hard mounting it to your vehicle, and getting the d-tap battery adapter.

Also if you intend to backup while driving, then definitely install solid state drives to make sure you avoid any backup issues due to spinning disk hdds getting jostled.