Thread: LTO Software Recommendations

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 LTO Software Recommendations 
    Im wondering what you are using for LTO management software.

My requirements are:
    Runs on windows Server
    Works with Overland Library
    Easy to use
    Available now
    NO LTFS

Ideally I would go with BRU PE but that doesn't support running on windows server (as far as I know) and there is no release date for the windows version. Archiware is very expensive (quoted roughly $6k) but looks promising. Any others that I should be considering?

Thanks

I used CatDV server on Windows with various tape libraries over the years. Easy to use, but not a very straightforward installation and configuration with 3rd party tape libraries. That may be a longer path than you want to travel. Configuring that with overland may break your budget if $6k is on the high end.

I hadn't thought about the CatDV route... I wouldn't say I have a firm budget but obviously like to save where possible but not at sacrificing performance. How well does CatDV do at backing up unsupported (by them) file types?

To clarify I already have the library. In this case the cart came before the horse.

REDuser Sponsor
    Acronis checks all your boxes and is relatively inexpensive. $850ish for server edition or $120ish for workstation edition.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

CatDV just handles the move to the library and then checks off some database fields when it's checked in/out. You have to do some scripting for a DIY setup, which is rudamentary but it works even at a larger scale. You'd need a client, server and worker node though.

http://www.squarebox.com/tutorial-ar...-with-xendata/ is kind of an example of what it looks like. So as an asset manager, it just remaps the move to your LTO library, assuming your library is acting as more of a cache/write to tape layer and leaves a stub file or something that can be retrieved by a file system when you call it back?

Why "NO LTFS?" What is wrong with LTFS?