Thread: Keeping or upgrading an late 2015 Mac book pro

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Keeping or upgrading an late 2015 Mac book pro 
    I got a Macbook pro from late 2015 that Im considering to upgrade. Its to weak to really do much work on it (if you not loving proxies of course), but I really only use it to offload footage throw and scrub threw the loaded mini mags onset (with maximum proxy mode in premiere).

But im thinking maby its time to switch it out to a pc laptop with an rtx 2070 in. I like the screen of the MacBook Pro and I absolutely dont want to downgrade. On one hand its very good to have one foot left on Mac, also considering I spent some dime on Mac programs. But im curios what laptops rtx laptops you're running and what playback do you get with a ssd connected or a fast server? What battery times are you getting?

My current 1/4 res on the Mac book pro is "okay" (8k source) but looks like shi... full screen. Im thinking the rtx cards will playback 8k with ease as long its on a fast drive.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Would you rather keep an old MacBook Pro (late 2015), or switch it out for a pc laptop for around 2k? The primary usage is to use the laptop for onset files transfer and and viewing the files. This works bearly with 8k footage on the Mac book pro. You need to use something like 1/8 resoultion or so in premiere to playback.

On the other hand my kids like to start playing pc games....and I like to have an rtx card in it. I just dont want a laptop looking like a gaming laptop and I like to spend just around 2k.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Just about to buy a 8 core MacBook Pro but am wondering the same thing!

If you do buy a good RTX based laptop that is really good I’d love to hear which one... up to now we have been using super fast HP workstations for the studio and Mac laptops for out and about (downloads etc) and would love to stay that way but it is tricky unless Red confirm that there will be metal support at some point for r3d decoding on latest gen mac laptops...
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

2 of our 2015 Mac Book Pros just had expanding battery failures in the same week that Apple announced recall, so swap those out.

New 16" PowerBook coming in Sept as they get back into Pro market, might be good.

New RTX cards just announced are 25% faster than last weeks top of the line 2080Ti which is a big improvement in a short time........

Quote Originally Posted by Remington Chase View Post
    New RTX cards just announced are 25% faster than last weeks top of the line 2080Ti which is a big improvement in a short time........
    Have missed that, any links to reviews of this 2080ti killer card?

Check Jarred's posts for precise wording, but IIRC, in conjunction with Apple PR from 2019 WWDC, RED is actively coding for Metal with a September target for beta. What hardware configuration might be required in a laptop BTO to get to particular resolutions/frame rates is impossible to know at this stage.

There are plenty of folks expecting a fresh design 16" MBP from Apple later this year. Theoretically, they could design for a larger TDP discrete GPU internally - but would Apple actually go to market with a significantly thicker and heavier "portable"? I would argue that since they already have the "light/thin laptop with decent performance" slot covered (for some folks that might even include the iPadPro), the bomber laptop market is where Apple lacks.

FWIW, if I were Apple, I'd crank out a shredder laptop with distinctive casing/materials and market it as tech street cred. It needs to be genuinely powerful, but it can also be expensive because Apple fans will buy them as status symbols even if they only actually use a fraction of the capabilities. The display needs to be very good - if for no other reason, than to make it easier for the buyer to justify the premium price. BTW Apple, putting one USB-A port and one HDMI 2.0 port on the side in addition to the USB-C/TB3 ports should be done if there's room on the new casing. Yes, they are redundant and there are dongles - do it anyway. With UHD panels selling like hotcakes, being able to park a laptop in front of a larger monitor and feed it a 2160 x 3840 signal with a single cable should be easy for anyone. That same "easy for everyone" note applies to having a single USB-A port for thumb drives, etc. USB-C is the future, but lots of folks have their "past" backed up on those little USB-A sticks.

Not that I'm expecting it, but if Apple did go more hardcore with the 16" laptop - AND - the Metal port of the all GPU R3D processing goes well... Sure would be sweet to have a laptop that ate R3Ds for lunch...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Check Jarred's posts for precise wording, but IIRC, in conjunction with Apple PR from 2019 WWDC, RED is actively coding for Metal with a September target for beta. What hardware configuration might be required in a laptop BTO to get to particular resolutions/frame rates is impossible to know at this stage.

There are plenty of folks expecting a fresh design 16" MBP from Apple later this year. Theoretically, they could design for a larger TDP discrete GPU internally - but would Apple actually go to market with a significantly thicker and heavier "portable"? I would argue that since they already have the "light/thin laptop with decent performance" slot covered (for some folks that might even include the iPadPro), the bomber laptop market is where Apple lacks.

FWIW, if I were Apple, I'd crank out a shredder laptop with distinctive casing/materials and market it as tech street cred. It needs to be genuinely powerful, but it can also be expensive because Apple fans will buy them as status symbols even if they only actually use a fraction of the capabilities. The display needs to be very good - if for no other reason, than to make it easier for the buyer to justify the premium price. BTW Apple, putting one USB-A port and one HDMI 2.0 port on the side in addition to the USB-C/TB3 ports should be done if there's room on the new casing. Yes, they are redundant and there are dongles - do it anyway. With UHD panels selling like hotcakes, being able to park a laptop in front of a larger monitor and feed it a 2160 x 3840 signal with a single cable should be easy for anyone. That same "easy for everyone" note applies to having a single USB-A port for thumb drives, etc. USB-C is the future, but lots of folks have their "past" backed up on those little USB-A sticks.

Not that I'm expecting it, but if Apple did go more hardcore with the 16" laptop - AND - the Metal port of the all GPU R3D processing goes well... Sure would be sweet to have a laptop that ate R3Ds for lunch...

Cheers - #19
    Add to that the rumored ditching of the butterfly keyboard mechanism and a return to (or redesign of) scissor keys, and it seems like the September refresh of MBPs are looking nice :)

R3D's have been debayered and scaled using OpenGL and Cuda for some time. My worry is that Red stating that r3d decoding will have metal suport may simply be limited to debayer and scaling. What we need to understand, which RED doesn't seem to be clear on, is if Metal suport will inc De-wavlett as well?

I may be being confused and Red have confirmed Metal suport for de-wavlet?

ps also the new Mac Pro machines have accelerator FPGA boards (for codec support?) and metal is Mac specific.... maybe this is where the dewaveletting will take place..?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram