Thread: X99 system r3d decode speeds

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    15.3.1 studio, tried lite as well in case it was related, no difference. Same results both in Windows and OSX. Either the CPU is the bottleneck, or the GPU drivers in both OSs are crap, can't think of any other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Nousias View Post
    15.3.1 studio, tried lite as well in case it was related, no difference. Same results both in Windows and OSX. Either the CPU is the bottleneck, or the GPU drivers in both OSs are crap, can't think of any other reason.
    Well your Full-Res Premium results are great.
    Have you turned HBCC on?
    At which resolution is project time line?
    Driver 19.6.2 is tested to be stable with the GPU.

The GPU is not the bottleneck (it's one of the fastest GPU's in Resolve at the moment).
    This test was done with older drivers https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1382/ 19.3.1
    No complaints about the Apple drivers either https://barefeats.com/rmbp-2019-560x-vs-vii.html

HBCC doesn't seem to change anything but it's quite hard to judge as fps in windows jumps from 10 to 16 constantly(whereas in OSX it's a stable 12.5)

I'm pretty sure that it's the CPU. In Full Premium-Half Good, it gets to 97% utilisation, whereas the GPU is at 20%, GPU men at 25%, guess I'll have to wait for RED's Metal optimisation.

btw, I realised there was another setting in preferences for R3D decode using GPU, until now I was playing with the "use display GPU for compute" setting. If I disable R3D decode, playback drops to 11fps, at least Radeon gives me an extra 1.5fps of happiness:)