Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Atleast RTX Quadro 6000 x2 + 30% apple tax ~ $12k, when it's lower I would be surprised.
    I thought the whole point of AMD GPUs was how cheap they are?

$5K for the dual Vega II MPX or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I seriously donít get the bitching about the price. The Mac Pro was never for the average user. If itís too expensive for you, odds are you really donít need one.
    I don't have a problem with a $6000 price tag for a proper workstation - most of the workstations I build where in that ballpark.
    But I have a problem with a $6000 price tag on a machine, that is slower than a iMacPro.

I did an article on this, if someone is interested: https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com...-need-to-talk/
    Frank Glencairn
    DOP - Director - Colorist

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Atleast RTX Quadro 6000 x2 + 30% apple tax ~ $12k, when it's lower I would be surprised.
    Ugh...

I'm currently budgeting about 10k towards this new Mac Pro. I guess I'll be better off using Radeon VII for now.

Heck, 4 of them would probably be cheaper than one of these Vega II Duos.

4 Radeon VII 16GB would total under $2800.

Seems like that wouldn't be a bad setup for Resolve with 64GB of total video memory.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    I thought the whole point of AMD GPUs was how cheap they are?

$5K for the dual Vega II MPX or gtfo
    For you maybe, for most it's price/perf.

3x Radeon VII ~ $2,100 vs. 1x RTX quadro 5000 ~ $2,300

AMD is not that expensive, Apple is a different story.

Wait...looks like the MacPro only has 2 sets of 8pin power connections internally, 300w per set.
    Can you even power 4 off the shelf GPUs in there?

With 75w from four slots, plus 2x300w, plus 75w aux, that gives us 975w useable power.
    So are we limited to 3 powered GPUs at 300w each?
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    But I have a problem with a $6000 price tag on a machine, that is slower than a iMacPro.
    This is not a fair or entirely accurate comparison.

Explain
    Frank Glencairn
    DOP - Director - Colorist

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Can we please stop comparing the announced base model against pimped PCs - it's pointless. The more relevant comparo would be in the $8-12K range. I'd imagine the Apple Tax would still be substantial, but not the "obvious ripoff" narrative one can construct with 256GB flash, a modest CPU and a "placeholder" GPU.

Cheers - #19
    You have to compare performance to performance. Bottom line is that you can build a computer with equal performance for half the price. Of course that changes a little when you get into the super high core count because those are only available in Xeon, but how many people do you think are realistically going to spend $20,000 plus on a computer?

Iím not saying people wonít buy it, but there are more people who wonít (and donít need that power, but want something more powerful than a Mac Mini and the ability to hook up their own monitor) than people who will.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Explain
    The only glaring difference between the two is the graphics card of the *base* models where the iMac pulls ahead slightly.
    Yes you can compare only performance, but the unfairness comes from *why* you purchase the Mac Pro vs. the iMac Pro - expand-ability and overhead.
    For a $1000 price difference (again, of base models) you get the option for: internal expansion, far superior cooling (longevity of parts and sustained turbo boosting of CPUs - iMac Pros have more readily thermal throttling), RAM, 10 extra cores (20 additional threads), 4x AMD Radeon Pro Vega IIs, etc, etc.

Just my $.02

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Johnson View Post
    That's not quite true. Yes you can overclock, but considering apples-to-apples comparisons (no pun intended) since we want equal hardware longevity, a comparable build would be around $3200.
    Linus covered that here: https://youtu.be/PPiEpSMkzoo?t=724
    The rest of that video after the time I linked, he also covers the past Mac Pro prices - we are all in agreement on the fact that it's marked way up haha.

I agree you can save money by building it, but not as low as $2000 if you expect the same quality/longevity.
    Thatís still about double the price for the Mac Pro with similar performance. Willing to pay a little Apple tax, but double? Letís be realistic here. This Mac Pro is grossly overpriced. Apple should at least offer the i9 GPUs for those who donít need Xeon or more than 128GB of (ECC RAM).