Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    A dozen of the first batch here.
    A few years ago I was reading on overheating issues and did not experience it till a few months ago with a D700.
    That's one of 12 and after an OS re-install, the unit is serving fine as a graphics design station.
    We shall see how long the other one will last.
    Its hosting Avid and Pro Tools hardware.
    I am hoping it dies, maybe I can replace with the new model :)

We haven't been so lucky. 4 of 8 D700 models have been in the shop at least once for GPU replacements.

I melted the D700 GPUs twice on the same 12-core trashcan Mac. My other two were 8-core units and in one system I swapped the 8-core for a 10-core CPU just because. Never had a problem with either of those. But they were short-lived for me as I sold my last one a year ago when the iMac Pro could replace it.

The trashcan Mac Pro was awesome for a lot of uses. Excellent node system for clusters and they stacked laying horizontally like pop cans with the right hardware in equipment racks. With the TB2 ports we had multi-port 10G interconnects right out of the box. At times I think Apple didn’t understand the markets they were trying to serve and yet made something awesome for a market they tried to abandon when they killed the Xserve. All things considered, the system was a nice idea but flawed execution and they missed their target markets needs. If they offered it with i5 and i7 CPUs and singular decent desktop-class GPU, all at a much lower price point, they could have had a winner...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

What would be interesting is if Apple don’t limit on the number of CPU cores recognised by MacOs.

If 64 cores are ‘allowed’, and the Afterburner is just a PCIe device ... what are the chances that a PCIe4 Hackintosh with quadruple Navi + ABurner will make an appearance?

AJ

Seriously doubt you'd be able to run an Afterburner accelerator card on anything but an actual Mac.

Extremely unlikely that Apple will do anything of the kind, but selling a lower spec version of the tcMP 6,1 to fill the space between the MacMini and the mMP 7,1 workstation would be great for many users. They already have the infrastructure in place and NRE recovered to keep producing the cylinders at a reasonable cost per unit. Nah, makes too much sense...

Cheers - #19

Why would you use a vendor locked FPGA(Afterburner accelerator card) when you can do everything with off the shelf GPU's and CPU's.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Why would you use a vendor locked FPGA(Afterburner accelerator card) when you can do everything with off the shelf GPU's and CPU's.
    You could be totally right Misha. That said, I hope you don't mind if I wait until the actual card is in the wild before concluding what it can or cannot do vs off the shelf components...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    You could be totally right Misha. That said, I hope you don't mind if I wait until the actual card is in the wild before concluding what it can or cannot do vs off the shelf components...

Cheers - #19
    With 4x RTX titanX cards, you can edit 4x (8k.R3D 5:1 24 fps) streams in full quality and in real-time with GPU decode(when are NLE's going to support this?), what more do you want?
    Add one of those 64 core EPYC cpu's + 512 GB of mem to it and you can handle 2+ 8k.R3D streams in realtime when GPU decoding doesn't work (for around half the price ~20k).
    Most if not all software mentioned during WDCC is already optimized for CUDA or OpenCL, so no benefit there.

Apple need all the big frameworks and (3D intensive) software to be ported into Metal, and no doubt have a $$$ war chest to make that a reality over the next couple of years.

For as long as what has been CUDA only software is not ‘production proven’ after porting - Nvidia have a locked in professional market, and so I doubt that even if Apple offered Nvidia money, that Nvidia would offer Metal drivers.

When Intel roll out their Xe GPU, something tells me that will be offer a Metal drivers (and not CUDA), and will likely displace Nvidia as at the top end performance wise (for whichever market they are taking aim). Would Nvidia finally release Metal drivers I wonder?

Perhaps the question right now shouldn’t be if you want a >MacPro or not, but rather do you think that MacOs will flourish with FPGA accelerated functionality that could enable greater application performance than GPU alone?

Do you want to use software from Blackmagic where GPU software bottlenecks will benefit from hardware acceleration explicitly built into the OS?

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    Apple need all the big frameworks and (3D intensive) software to be ported into Metal, and no doubt have a $$$ war chest to make that a reality over the next couple of years.

For as long as what has been CUDA only software is not ‘production proven’ after porting - Nvidia have a locked in professional market, and so I doubt that even if Apple offered Nvidia money, that Nvidia would offer Metal drivers.

When Intel roll out their Xe GPU, something tells me that will be offer a Metal drivers (and not CUDA), and will likely displace Nvidia as at the top end performance wise (for whichever market they are taking aim). Would Nvidia finally release Metal drivers I wonder?

Perhaps the question right now shouldn’t be if you want a >MacPro or not, but rather do you think that MacOs will flourish with FPGA accelerated functionality that could enable greater application performance than GPU alone?

Do you want to use software from Blackmagic where GPU software bottlenecks will benefit from hardware acceleration explicitly built into the OS?

AJ

Apple clearly has the $$$ to make it happen. They now claim to have the will, but we will see. Press releases are easy. Sustaining organizational attention on the tiny (for Apple, as a % of their business) pro market will not be.

This Mac Pro is a great first step but there is a long way to go.

Apple Shifts Mac Pro Production To China From The US.

Nice 25% price increase(Trump China tax) for the consumer and the workforce of Flex Ltd in the United States are out of work.

Just love the big tech companies...