Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    I remember a while back there was a rumor that Apple was working on two different models of the Mac Pro, a mid-size tower with like 3-4 slots, and a bigger version. Looks like we know which one they chose. Perhaps they will go back and finish up the mid-range one after they get this one out the door.

At the very least, I think they should release a cheaper display alternative. No one is gonna buy a Mac Mini and get the XDR Display for it. They should just take the screen out of the iMacs and sell it as a stand along monitor.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

LG UltraFine 27MD5KB-B Black 27" 5K WFHD IPS LED Monitor, 500 cd/m2, Thunderbolt ~ $1,300

You could also just buy a 55" Samsung 8K TV with the same P3 color space and around the same number of local dimming LEDs as the Apple XDR.

$3500 including stand:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...class_hdr.html

Also, it has multiple inputs so you can swap between your desktop and your laptop without swapping cables :)

No idea why Apple only gave their $6000 display one input!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post

I had the pleasure and displeasure of two O2s and an OCTANE. I didn't pay for them but back then, it wasn't hard to convince then companies to pay for them.
    Since a seat of Power Animator was close to 100K.
    It was EIAS on a Quadro that killed it for Alias from my side of the fence.
    Thank goodness Maya came in under 10K once it was ported to Windows.
    I always wanted a Silicon Graphics computer. I don't know if I would have really exploited it, but it didn't matter. I just wanted one (the Indy). I lost respect for the company when it went Intel and Windows.

As for Maya, I'm fairly sure that Blender will replace it once it comes out of beta. 3D graphics not my area of interest, really, but I just come across the odd bit of news here and there. I care little for CGI.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post

As for Maya, I'm fairly sure that Blender will replace it once it comes out of beta.
    Ahhhh no.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    As for Maya, I'm fairly sure that Blender will replace it once it comes out of beta. 3D graphics not my area of interest, really, but I just come across the odd bit of news here and there. I care little for CGI.
    Yeah that's a big no right there. Blender is in "beta" about as much as Maya is.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    HP workstations make a lot of sense, you can start with: HP Z2, Z4, Z6 or Z8 and then customize it for your needs.
    The MacPro is 8 to 28 cores and 64 PCIe-3 lanes, with the HP solutions you have a lot more choice.
    But look at a base Z8. It has a slow quad-core processor, 8 GB of RAM, a shitty GPU, a 1 TB hard drive. Any $500 Core i3 box is faster - but the Core i3 can't take all the upgrades.

My point is that nobody with an ounce of sense buys the base configuration of a high-end workstation, so why go on about it?
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    But look at a base Z8. It has a slow quad-core processor, 8 GB of RAM, a shitty GPU, a 1 TB hard drive. Any $500 Core i3 box is faster - but the Core i3 can't take all the upgrades.

My point is that nobody with an ounce of sense buys the base configuration of a high-end workstation, so why go on about it?
    The base Mac Pro is $6,000
    The base HP Z8 is $2,500 (lower entry, way more options).
    The base Z2 is $850

With HP you have 4 different pro models (pick the one that fits your needs) with Apple you have one.

I wonder when orders and bto prices will go live?
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Is it too early to start a speculation thread about Mac Pro 2021?