Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Wait...looks like the MacPro only has 2 sets of 8pin power connections internally, 300w per set.
    Can you even power 4 off the shelf GPUs in there?

With 75w from four slots, plus 2x300w, plus 75w aux, that gives us 975w useable power.
    So are we limited to 3 powered GPUs at 300w each?
    Undervolt them to 240 Watt each.

https://www.tomshw.de/2019/02/27/rtg...is-igorslab/3/

Above values are at ~ stock speeds Base Clock: 1450 MHz, Boost Clock: 1800 MHz, Memory Bandwidth: 1024 GB/s

https://www.tomshw.de/2019/02/27/rtg...is-igorslab/2/

When you set the values for the Boost Clock at 1700 MHz at 0.95Volt and leave the memory bandwidth as it is you will be below 240 watt torture (FP32 ~ 13 TFlops).
    With these setting the sound levels will be between RTX2080 and RTX2080ti FE edition.

You will need the Apple version of Wattman.
    Last edited by Misha Engel; 06-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Hmm...physical connections seem tricky. I feel like I would need to restrict the cards to 225w each.
    Pull 150w from each of the 4 8pin connectors, plus the 75w from each slot.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Can we please stop comparing the announced base model against pimped PCs - it's pointless. The more relevant comparo would be in the $8-12K range. I'd imagine the Apple Tax would still be substantial, but not the "obvious ripoff" narrative one can construct with 256GB flash, a modest CPU and a "placeholder" GPU.
    I would prefer do that, but Apple haven't announced prices for a good mid-level system yet.

They always priced SSDs and RAM really high though. So I think then the price performance might get even worse.

Again I do want one of these for myself (well, two since I've had a lot of Apple logic boards die on me in the past so I would never base a workflow on just one computer).

But that cost does get quite substantial, even compared to the cost of software licenses. And especially if it's slower / worse for all of those things NVIDIA GPUs perform better at.

Then this version is probably no-go for me.

Next year's model with PCIe4 sounds appealing though!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    This article pretty much hits the nail on the head.

https://www.macworld.com/article/340...-made-for.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Halper View Post
    This article pretty much hits the nail on the head.

https://www.macworld.com/article/340...-made-for.html
    "If you buy one of every pro apple product..." What a bizare point to make, one of everything? I could see people buying a Macbook Pro and an iPad Pro with the Pro apps but one of everything? That's not an "aspiring creative professional" it's the beginings of a small business. I had a look at the price of the Powermac G4 and the studio display he claimed to have gotten for a combined $1200 and it would have been at least $2000 so he's either misremembered or is flat out lying. Besides $25k isn't a mortgage it's a deposite.

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. Bickerstaff View Post
    "If you buy one of every pro apple product..." What a bizare point to make, one of everything? I could see people buying a Macbook Pro and an iPad Pro with the Pro apps but one of everything? That's not an "aspiring creative professional" it's the beginings of a small business. I had a look at the price of the Powermac G4 and the studio display he claimed to have gotten for a combined $1200 and it would have been at least $2000 so he's either misremembered or is flat out lying. Besides $25k isn't a mortgage it's a deposite.
    I think you’re missing the point...

A week ago I got in a ‹ber with my assistant after a shoot carrying my RED camera in my hand. The driver who was driving a new Toyota Prius instantly reacted saying wow that camera looks expensive, and that he could never afford a camera like this. I told him that it cost as much as his car. The only difference is that I just made $1,800 sooting a corporate interview for 4 hours and that he will go home with $250 after a 10 hour night. Not counting gas insurance and possible tickets.
    He was clearly insulted by my rather arrogant statement because he didn’t say a single word for the rest of the drive.

I don’t know why people constantly complain about the cost of technology. Its not what you put in it, but what can you get out of it.

If you love tinkering with computer parts, installing drivers for days and overclocking CPU’s.
    Fine, build your own rig for cheep.

I have more money than time. I need a the most powerful computer that runs macOS and works out of the box.
    I will make the cost of a fully pimped out mac pro 50 times over bore its absolute.
    The only issue I have with it: does it come in black?

lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Halper View Post
    I think you’re missing the point...
    I don't, it's the Mac Pro everyone with any sense knew it was going to come with a hefty price tag. The expensiveness of these syetems are reliative, if your business calls for one you can probably afford it. If not then you weren't buying one anyway. We don't even know what the real costs of the machine are anyway since you won't be able to spec one up until pre-orders start.

Quote Originally Posted by James Falco View Post
    The only issue I have with it: does it come in black?

lol.
    You could probably paint it easily enough. The cover does slide right off after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Hmm...physical connections seem tricky. I feel like I would need to restrict the cards to 225w each.
    Pull 150w from each of the 4 8pin connectors, plus the 75w from each slot.
    2x Radeon VII will give you around 70fps of 8k.R3D FF de-bayer speed, supstract some compute power for metal GPU decoding and you still have 60+fps.
    To me the iMacPro with 2 eGPU's is better value for money.

Most people complaining about the price are those who are once again left out of Appleís product map. As we had with the previous cheese grater Mac pros and iMacs, thereís a gaping hole in the product line where an all in one doesnít fit the needs of the user and the pro workstation is just too much pro. As they have an iMac and an iMac Pro, Apple really needs a Mac and a Mac Pro. The Mac Mini is not what this Mac should be, nor is the iMac. They need a desktop system with desktop class i-Series (i5, i7, i9) CPU options and some degree of expandability. Like two PCIe slots or what constitutes one of the MPX bays in the new Mac Pro.

Yes, this would overlap and steal from Mac Pro sales on the low end, but in the long run they will sell more systems overall. If they made such a beast with a quad-core i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and no GPU installed (using Intel integrated GPU on the base model), 4 x TB3/USB-C ports, HDMI port and single 10GE port... Price it at $1299 to start, they would sell like crazy. Make an 8-core i7, 512GB SSD, and 8GB Navi GPU config for $2499 and a 10-core i9 with 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 16GB GPU as the top configuration around $4000, it would still be a winner. And would plug that giant hole between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro.

Sometimes I think Apple focuses too much effort on the ďproĒ image aspect of their systems and while thatís fine and good I would also like to see them make a couple more computer offerings so they have computers for everyone and every market.

That said, the new Mac Pro is actually priced competitively within its intended market. I see them doing exactly as they did with the past cheese grater and they will price right in step with HP and Dell for their comparable Xeon workstations. Iím buying one to start, but fully intend to install aftermarket RAM and possibly SSD storage as well. Eventually Iíll probably have more than a few Mac Pros around here as I did in the past. Iím expecting they will have an update to this new Mac Pro in 18 to 24 months after it launches and that update will be significant, bringing us PCIe v4 and Thunderbolt 4. Neither of which are ready to go at the moment. PCIe v4 will [should] be supported on the next Xeon iteration, which would work timing wise with the subsequent update.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.