Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    It will be available on December 10:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/07...o-december-10/

I would love one. But there is no way I would ever use its power. Except... I do mine crypto, so...
    100k maxed out?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    100k maxed out?
    Maxing out the memory will blow the lid off the price.

The Mac Pro can be configured with 12x 128GB dimms for a total of 1.5TB. One of those dimms is a couple of thousand on its own. Kingston has a 128GB ValueRAM module that is slower for $1500 and Fujitsu has a PC4-2666 128GB module that's $13000(!). If Apple asks $4-5K for a module... well, that's up to $60.000 just for memory.

This has zero relevance to most buyers, obviously.

Let's leave it to the Internet personalities and news outlets to reveal themselves as clueless and sensationalist when they—NO DOUBT—all list the maxed out price of the new Mac Pro.

I would love to hear the recommended config. for those of us who just want to edit or transcode 8K. Someone please chime in, I am ordering soon.
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andersen View Post
    I would love to hear the recommended config. for those of us who just want to edit or transcode 8K. Someone please chime in, I am ordering soon.
    The base model is more or less a skeleton to get into the platform and you don't want that.

Going up to 12-core you get faster single thread performance and you lift the memory to 2933MHz (instead of 2666MHz with the 8-core). Depending on price, you'll want 12 or 16 core...

Same with graphics, you want to go to the first level up: from 580X to Radeon Pro Vega II. Both cards are getting long in the tooth, but the 580X has no place in the new Mac Pro. Already the base Pro Vega II (not talking about the Pro Vega II Duo, which is two Pro Vega II combined) comes with 32GB of RAM—nice for 8K.

System RAM: you don't want the base 32GB. It's only 4 modules and you want to use 6. From 48GB and up you're good. In my experience people need less RAM than they think. RAM won't make the computer faster per se, but having too little will slow it down. As an example, DaVinci Resolve runs fine with as low as 16GB. Once you do 3D or compositing where textures and such needs to be read into memory.... then you need more.

Disk space needs no explanation. But if the stock config really only comes with 256GB (one module), you at least need to go to 1TB (over two modules).

Playing with the pricing... Max config is $50K, pretty much where I expected it to land.

GPU pricing is a joke.

Can’t order > 4TB onboard SSD yet. No MPX storage systems available yet. No Pro Display XDR yet. No rack mount option to order yet. No afterburner card yet. They are totally price gouging for the 16 core CPU because it’s a huge step up to the 24 and 28 core CPUs that can support the full 1.5TB RAM and they’re stretching the price to fill the gap.

I’m unsure if I’m buying at this time, going to wait for some more real-world info and such. I’m thinking if I order, I’d get the base model with a Vega Pro II Duo and then upgrade CPU and RAM on my own. ...As many of us were doing with the previous Mac Pro tower and trash can. I’m really hoping for other GPU options. Having a hard time digesting a $2400 price tag for a 1 year old GPU combined with a TB3 add-on board in its own air duct housing.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Never mind on my Pro Display comment above. It must have been a cookie glitch. Can order them now too. People already posting pics of the system and taking delivery of some readily available configurations.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Only $100 per wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    No MPX storage systems available yet. .
    https://www.apple.com/us_epp_801309/...re-for-mac-pro

https://www.apple.com/us_epp_801309/...le-for-mac-pro

Afterburner is $2K

Those MPX hard drive bays were not showing when it all went live, but I guess it probably took a bit to get it online and cookies and caches to clear. ...Still waiting for the SSD storage modules. I’ve already get to see the 32TB SSD unit in action, but don’t know when we’ll see it or pricing.

At the time of my last posts here. The Afterburner card and the options for feet or wheels were not there on the configure page. ...Not seeing anything where that Afterburner card makes sense. Maybe for high speed turn around broadcast/ news all ProRes workflows.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

The Pro Vega II are pretty cheap compared to the RTX Quadro cards, Apple must have pushed AMD to the limit.