Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    I dunno. You're just slinging cheap insults.

You just said nothing I posted is remotely true. So... where are your sources to prove your assertions that:

- PCIe v4 is NOT taking off

- AMD's new Ryzen chips are NOT doing well and Threadripper is NOT coming next month

- Intel has NOT halved their CPU prices to react

- You can't buy a good 8K HDR TV and use it as your monitor for MUCH less than the cost of Apple's 6K monitor

- the GPU architecture the Mac Pro is going to use continues to be crushed by NVIDIA, eg:
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/10/gro...orce-rtx-gpus/

If you can't find sources for ALL of those (remember you said "NOTHING IN THIS POST IS EVEN REMOTELY TRUE") you owe me an apology. And you should stop being so unprofessional and impolite.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

If you haven't seen the apple monitor up close, you can't really appreciate how far off the mark it is to say that a consumer grade 8k TV is a like for like product. If you haven't seen the Mac Pro running, you can't really appreciate how impressive its performance is, and how it leverages that across its GPU architecture.

When you like the looks of the New Mac Pro but don't like the price and the hardware, get one of these

https://www.dunecase.com/index.html#overview

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I have an older (2013) MBP that has a decent GPU. I have kept it useful by using external boot SSDs. I actually use a different boot drive for every project now.
    Ah, of course. That sounds like a terrific idea. I do in fact have an external SSD, but I only got it to work on RAW files. Maybe I should go the whole hog and make it into a boot drive. That way I don't have to upgrade the OS on the internal 2.5" HD (which I don't like doing).
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    When you like the looks of the New Mac Pro but don't like the price and the hardware, get one of these

https://www.dunecase.com/index.html#overview
    LOL. They even have a faceplate coming that is identical to the new Mac Pro. ...Seeing how Apple has trademarked that fascia design pattern, I’m not sure if Dune will be successful, or wise, to bring that to market.

Not sure I’m a big fan of copying the Apple look on a PC build, but whatever... It actually looks like a well thought out case design.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I'd just like a Mac mini that costs US$500 and that can be going strong in five years. I don't need a great GPU, but everything else should be reasonable: 500GB SSD as standard, 8GB as standard. It's not that hard, surely? Or, make it more expensive but give us a 1TB SSD and a decent GPU as standard.

The real hindrance with my old Mac mini (over 5 years old now) is not the CPU or RAM, but the hard drive. That is the single biggest bottleneck. And I can't be bothered changing it for an SSD.
    Intel will be launching Xeon NUC products soon, which will give you all the SFF goodness you want (and won't get) from Apple, with huge amounts of RAM and professional-grade GPU options for content creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    As Fujitsu are looking to sell these (A64fx ARM chips) and they are circa an order of magnitude better performance / watt for generic workloads than Intel’s top Xeons - Apple could even switch to Fujitsu (CPU) chip for a laptop that outperforms a desktop (CPU).
    On the off chance that Apple could convince Fujitsu to make enough, it might be able to use those monster ARM chips... but the power draw puts them well outside of mobile use -- it's not designed to be power efficient, it's designed to be a supercompute node. It's target competitor isn't a mobile CPU, it's aimed squarely at EPYC.

For what it does it is certainly very efficient, but we're talking about a supercomputing cluster in a single chip carrier.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    Intel will be launching Xeon NUC products soon, which will give you all the SFF goodness you want (and won't get) from Apple, with huge amounts of RAM and professional-grade GPU options for content creation.
    Maybe I can make a Hackintosh? Sure, I'll consider it. But AMD CPUs are currently the better choice, price aside. In any case, the Mac will always be my main computer. I do have a Linux PC mining crypto, and an old Android device doing the same. I have an old Windows laptop in case I need to play with the odd Windows app.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

If Coreteks insights pan out - mid 2020, Apple will move their MacBook Air, possibly even their Mac Pro to ARM - using a CPU with 8 large single threaded cores designed by ARM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzKb_fV7UB8

(That would imply the ARM chip were based on TSMC 7nm+ / Zeus platform / Have an IPC (performance at a set frequency) almost the same has Apples A13 (big) Lightning cores.)

Coreteks are also suggesting that Apple have asked Softbank (owners of ARM) to create a beefy GPU for the Mac Air.
    And suggest that Microsoft Surface Pro X pushing their platform ARMward (with custom Qualcomm Arm CPU) - could be the start of desktop Apps becoming universally available on ARM.

- -

Personally, I would be surprised if Apple moved from an Apple ARM core (with its 1 x custom hardware accelerated extension to the ARM instruction set), with CPU with higher IPC than ARMs predicted offering in 2020, with an Apple hardware scheduler that leads the ARM multi core world - over to an 8 BIG Core offering from ARM.

AJ

Sounds like the release will be quite soon.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/23...ation-utility/

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

"The new *Mac Pro* will start at $5,999 in the United States with an eight-core Intel Xeon processor, 32GB of ECC RAM, Radeon Pro 580X graphics, and 256GB of SSD storage."