Thread: Which camera & lenses were used for HBO's Chernobyl

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Which camera & lenses were used for HBO's Chernobyl 
    Anyone with insights on camera and lenses used for HBO's Chernobyl series? Could not find anything online...

The Chernobyl writer-producer @clmazin is very active on Twitter --he may share

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    Anyone with insights on camera and lenses used for HBO's Chernobyl series? Could not find anything online...
    We've done some work on this campaign, and I'm pretty such it's Alexa. Not sure of the lenses. The grading is also really interesting, I'll leave it at that...
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Don't think the camera matters one fuck. The lighting and art direction are on point.

Nick

I agree that story, actors and styling and camera work are very good but its still interesting to know, very refreshing they did not got the way of lots of recent Netflix productions where it seems compulsory to have headlights and head torches shining in anamorphic lenses for at leat 5 minutes per film. the sounddesign is simply outstanding.

Lenses I have no Idea, but I believe I was told Alexa shoot. It's an excellent piece of work.

Nick

I've seen pics of Alexa Minis on set. Not sure about the lenses, initially I thought it was vintage glass but the flares remind me of Leicas. Hard to tell from HBO's extremely poor compression here in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Aguilar View Post
    I've seen pics of Alexa Minis on set. Not sure about the lenses, initially I thought it was vintage glass but the flares remind me of Leicas. Hard to tell from HBO's extremely poor compression here in Spain.
    Unfortunately, I think HBO has poor compression in most places. Total sidebar here but Amazon gets master files and encodes them to their own specs which are higher quality than HBO's services. I switched to that and have noticed enough of a difference to stick to HBO via Prime Video. My girlfriend (non-industry person) even noticed and said "wow why does this episode look so much better?"

/tangent
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

I've just watched the fifth and last episode and can tell for sure that the lenses are Ultra Primes at very wide apertures. Both the UP's and Leitz glass (and that includes the Panavision Primos) share a greenish ghosting flare when hit by a strong source of light, but the rainbow colors that appear once in this episode are from Ultras.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    Unfortunately, I think HBO has poor compression in most places. Total sidebar here but Amazon gets master files and encodes them to their own specs which are higher quality than HBO's services. I switched to that and have noticed enough of a difference to stick to HBO via Prime Video. My girlfriend (non-industry person) even noticed and said "wow why does this episode look so much better?"

/tangent
    I second this. When the whole world complained about not being able to see much in Season 8, Ep 3 of Game of Thrones a couple weeks ago, I checked the HBO stream against the Amazon stream and can confirm how much clearer the fast action in dark areas of the frame was. HBO was a jumbled mess of macro blocking, but Amazon's you could actually see what was going on.