Thread: Where to buy Speedrail locally?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Where to buy Speedrail locally? 
    I own and plan to travel with a Dana Dolly but...

Speed rail is too big to bring with me.

Where do you buy it locally when in a new city? Does Home Depot carry something close enough?

Whoa.... I didn't know that Home Depot was a camera supply or a Studio Equipment store.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    Whoa.... I didn't know that Home Depot was a camera supply or a Studio Equipment store.
    I'll take that as a no then..... I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff, I work in post so I don't know the first thing about G&E.

But that's the reason I'm asking: I genuinely don't know where to buy this stuff other than Film Tools. Does every studio equipment store (Barbizon, etc.) also carry speed rail? What if there are none in your city? (I suppose order from Film Tools.) So far Film Tools is the only place that I know that sells it, but Barbizon might keep it out back.

I believe it's Hollaender 1 1/4 speed rail, which is used for construction as well as film, which is why I thought Home Depot might carry it, as they do sell 1 1/4 galvanized pipe.

Edit: Upon more research, I see that only metal industrial supply stores sell 6061 schedule 40, and not standard hardware stores. My apologies again for my ignorance.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 05-20-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Most cities will have industrial supply companies. These guys are a lot of places, will cut to length for you, etc. -

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/metals/aluminum/

Nick

Dana Dolly actually recommends Schedule 80.

Not to worry - Dana Dollies will run on any 1-1/4" pipe be it aluminum, stainless, conduit...
    Many options available at local hardware stores

Before you fly, do a quick test with your rigged out camera over the distance you anticipate moving the camera.
    If there is noticeable deflection using alternative materials (such as thin walled conduit) there are solutions.
    Nothing wrong with being inventive by using an extension ladder (easily borrowed) or apple boxes with wedges - or additional stands over the span.
    Anything to counter the deflection.

I've been using a CamTram for many years - has the advantage of a variable wheel base so it can work on speed rail, full sized dolly track, even using an extension ladder.

From the Dana Dolly web site:

What to use as track: You can use any pipe or round rigid structure with an outside diameter of 1.66" (42.2mm). This is the common size for 1 1/4" pipe 32mm pipe, and also metal conduit. This allows you to use cheap pipe for the road that you can discard, and have nicer pipe for your everyday use. We highly recommend using Schedule 80 aluminum pipe, and we have found a supplier: ONLINEMETALS.COM. They have 6' and 8' lengths of Schedule 80 aluminum pipe in stock, no minimum order, and they ship all over the U.S.

Links can be found at: ( http://www.danadolly.com/track---adapters.html )

If it’s a short run, you can grab some conduit at Home Depot or Lowe’s and they’ll even cut it for you. It’s cheap enough to toss in the trash after you’re done. You won’t be the first to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Dana Dolly actually recommends Schedule 80.

Not to worry - Dana Dollies will run on any 1-1/4" pipe be it aluminum, stainless, conduit...
    Many options available at local hardware stores

Before you fly, do a quick test with your rigged out camera over the distance you anticipate moving the camera.
    If there is noticeable deflection using alternative materials (such as thin walled conduit) there are solutions.
    Nothing wrong with being inventive by using an extension ladder (easily borrowed) or apple boxes with wedges - or additional stands over the span.
    Anything to counter the deflection.

I've been using a CamTram for many years - has the advantage of a variable wheel base so it can work on speed rail, full sized dolly track, even using an extension ladder.
    The first shoot I used my CamTram on, I used an extension ladder. It was a four subject, three camera network shoot with all “racing people”(mostly former crew chiefs and drivers). It was a great ice-breaker. Everyone loved the “inventiveness” and home-made aspect of using a ladder, especially given everyone’s background.

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. The Home Depot option (1 1/4 galvanized pipe), while cheap, seems to be schedule 40, so maybe not ideal. But I'm only planning to run 5 feet with a very lightweight camera set up so I think I'll be fine.

Regardless, thanks for the advice. Will also look into local grip houses.

Can't afford a CamTram, though I recognize it's a nicer/more flexible product.

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    Theres also these guys that work surprisingly well... which they damn well better, being $550 metal pipes....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y