Thread: anamorphic prores only....

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 anamorphic prores only.... 
    hey folks,

doing an old friend a favor and going back to the roots.... shooting a music video.

folks where delighted when they heard that i`ll bring my own camera, but the inhouse post guy immediately called when he noticed that it shoots 5k raw.
    so we settled on shooting prores only.
    i did not really buy the camera for this purpose and have no experience with this... so please let me know if this is a stupid idea!

shooting 2X anamorphic, 2k prores.
    while going through the settings i noticed something strange, or maybe i`m just too stupid.

when i set the camera to 5K / 6:5 ana the menu says that prores will be recorded at 1920X800
    when set to 5K / FF it records 2048X1080
    why do i loose 300 pixel in height when shooting anamorphic?
    loosing them in width would seem more logical...

can anyone explain this?

Bernd,

Record out two Pro res samples at both settings and compare. I have not done this but I suspect you may not loose 300pixels of actual image as the 1920x800 file will just not include the black bars top of frame as you are shooting an aspect ratio of @2.4 with 2X anamorphics and 1920pixels divide by 800pixels = 2.4
    Tom Gleeson

that would mean that in prores the image will be recorded as an already desqueezed final scope image.... interesting.

Bernd, you will gain more vert res in the squeezed file indeed leaving at 5K FF but you then must rely on another monitor capable of de-squeezing on set...
    or eventually choosing FF 5K with 2x ana internal de-squeeze and using frameguides to see which central part you'll keep for final 2.40:1 delivery.

Of course in this way the actual central portion of the final image inside the framelines will be very small on the on board monitor...

So choose your poison really. ;-) Loose final vert res or loose screen real estate on set...

BTW 2K ProRes on DSMC2 is GORGEOUS...I often use it with great results.
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

I would also say you'd be better off actually shooting at 5K and then making proxies for the edit. When you get to post for the finish, then let the post house decide if they need to transcode the 5K R3D files to 4K ProRes for delivery. It can work and can hold up pretty well, but you just have to watch the Raw settings very carefully. We do 5K and 4K projects all the time from R3Ds and don't sweat it at all, with no transcodes. (8K is another matter.)
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

prores only worked like a charm, editor and post happy.... and straight to number one in the german album charts!
    thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd Wondollek View Post
    prores only worked like a charm, editor and post happy.... and straight to number one in the german album charts!
    thanks everyone for the tips and advice.
    Was it the Sarah Conner Video?

yes

nice

so you shot everything in proves 2k?
    did everything with the desqueez work?

Vincent kriegt kein'n hoch wenn er an Mädchen denkt
    Floored me instantly...
    Nice work, Bernd, congrats!