Thread: which SSDs for quick onset back up..?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    In the field I live on the little Samsung T5 external SSD drives. I'm also the guy who segregates copying instances for true redundancy, so perhaps my perspective is skewed.

Cheers - #19
    I think segregation of backup is part of most people’s process...? .. the T5s are priced better but I was looking at G-DRIVE mobile SSD because it was rated very robust. I have no idea how difficult it is to retrieve date from a failed SSD but suspect very difficult so the robust rateing of the g-drive appeals....anyone have some simple like for like data on SSD failure?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I think segregation of backup is part of most people’s process...? (snip)
    My protocol uses two readers and two independent systems (one or both is typically a laptop) that I use to copy the RedMags in separate instances. No copies of copies and the only potential point of failure common to both copying passes is the original media. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I think segregation of backup is part of most people’s process...? .. the T5s are priced better but I was looking at G-DRIVE mobile SSD because it was rated very robust. I have no idea how difficult it is to retrieve date from a failed SSD but suspect very difficult so the robust rateing of the g-drive appeals....anyone have some simple like for like data on SSD failure?
    So when you see a lot of rubber and plastic, it's robust...

We triggerd on this https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...liability-772/
    and overprovision our SSD's 10..25%. SSD's have no moving parts like drives and LTO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    My protocol uses two readers and two independent systems (one or both is typically a laptop) that I use to copy the RedMags in separate instances. No copies of copies and the only potential point of failure common to both copying passes is the original media. YMMV.

Cheers - #19
    Ok you def go further than us ;-).... we do a single checksum checked Read to 2 x Writes (2 drives) and them seperate the drives from each other until there are LTO7 backups made.

PS My hope is that Red brings down the cost of camera media to the point that the original media can be one of my copies (and the most reliable) and is not deleted from untill editorial files have been created and visually checked... I figure if I only have to make one copy on set and I am keeping the original untill everything is visually checked I could dump the checksum and back up to TB3 SSDs... this would mean data wranging would take so little time!.... Red may then sell a lot more media?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    So when you see a lot of rubber and plastic, it's robust...
    No what I do is phone some trusted supllier of drives and ask which brand has the least returns and failures....
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram