Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: UPGRADING BEFORE DSMC3. BEST COURSE OF ACTION?

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Aye. You're probably right there, I'll likely do the same in the near future. Cheers William

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Yes Josh, this is what I decided to do. But then that 'extra mile' can be quite a bit further than anticipated. Due to the size of the 34.73mm sensor on Gemini you might need to rethink lenses as well. Suddenly my everyday workhorse (Canon 17-120mm) vignettes, so too does the 50-1000 that I have my eye on, the Tokina 11-20mm is out as is numerous other S-35 lenses. Obviously one needs to check all this carefully.

And maybe that's sufficient argument for Dragon-X ?
    Cinematographer, London
    Dragon-X 6K

www.joshbirchfilms.com
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/290364493

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    You won't be seeing DSMC3 until at least the END of next year... so you will be waiting for a while if you want to wait it out.

And as per the phone camera comment.... As I said in that post referenced, I am also making a different "specialty" camera but It's not going to be anything like what was shown over by the Hydrogen team. I'm sure some people will make it their A camera for some things, but for most of you here, that will be more likely be a C camera/D camera/2nd unit camera.
    Jarred, is this still the case with the current pandemic? Asking because every year we have a production budget to spend on new equipment before the year ends (for tax reasons) and was'nt sure if we should wait for DSMC3 or just spend our money on something else. It would be really helpful if you can let us know. We prefer to wait for the DSMC3 if its coming this year :)

Quote Originally Posted by Khaled Soliman View Post
    Jarred, is this still the case with the current pandemic? Asking because every year we have a production budget to spend on new equipment before the year ends (for tax reasons) and was'nt sure if we should wait for DSMC3 or just spend our money on something else. It would be really helpful if you can let us know. We prefer to wait for the DSMC3 if its coming this year :)
    I'm almost certain you will not see a DSMC3 in 2020.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Specs would be nice in 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Frankly given the pandemic-induced delays and the fact that the end of this year was the earliest possible timing according to Jim's post, I'd guess more like 2022 now. Red's engineers are obviously quite good, but Red was already jumping through a bunch of hoops to move manufacturing out of China just to keep progress going while China was locked down when the US got caught with its pants down.

I'm glad that Red is based in one of the states that has competent governance...
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik