Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: UPGRADING BEFORE DSMC3. BEST COURSE OF ACTION?

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57
  1. #41  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,323
    Considering the performance level of current offerings and the healthy demand for Komodos, I see no reason to rush DSMC3 to market.

    As others have noted, RED has a lot more competition than early in the Rebellion. They also have learned a ton - some of it the hard way - in the last 14 years. I thought the ramp up of the Komodo rollout was a good example of their more evolved approach.

    Like in the computer world, sometimes there are particular technological developments that impact timelines for new products. For starters, CF Express media promises very high data rates in a tiny form factor ideal for digital motion image capture applications. Ideally, Type C with PCIe4 if it matures fast enough. Even Type B, which is already available with sustained write speeds over 1,200MB/s (2,000MB/s theoretical max), would be an excellent solution with a good chance of wide availability and commodity pricing within 2 years.

    Of course it all comes back to how the sensor development timeline aligns with everything else. FWIW, I'd wait an extra few months for a major advancement - particularly a fast global electronic shutter.

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #42  
    Senior Member AndreasOberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,584
    A few thoughts.
    Remember that Red cameras are often costly at launch. Helium was around $50,000 when it came out. Also when they are announced it can take quite a while before you can actually buy them yourself it could be 18 month or more before you can actually buy them.
    So I guess it depends a bit how much of a hurry you are in.
    Gemini looks to be a very nice camera and should last for quite some time. We know nothing of DSMC3 yet, but I'm sure it will be cool when it comes. Maybe you can get a used Gemini? We got our Helium for half the new price and it was only used a few hours. If you are afraid they will break with no warranty left you can actually get insurance that has electronic breakdown cover for a fair price.

    Good luck. I think you will be happy no matter what you do!
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #43  
    Senior Member Rakesh Malik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    A few thoughts.
    Remember that Red cameras are often costly at launch. Helium was around $50,000 when it came out.
    Helium was $30,000 at launch, when I bought mine.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #44  
    Senior Member Scot Yount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Marblehead, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Helium was $30,000 at launch, when I bought mine.
    Actually, that was the price for RED Epic-W Helium. RED Weapon Helium was indeed $50K. https://www.fdtimes.com/2016/10/11/r...r35mm-cameras/
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

    Living life by the ocean.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #45  
    Senior Member Rakesh Malik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    Actually, that was the price for RED Epic-W Helium. RED Weapon Helium was indeed $50K. https://www.fdtimes.com/2016/10/11/r...r35mm-cameras/
    Good point, but the DSMC2 Helium also launched at $25K, so... Helium itself didn't drop that much in price since launch.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #46  
    Senior Member Scot Yount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Marblehead, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Good point, but the DSMC2 Helium also launched at $25K, so... Helium itself didn't drop that much in price since launch.
    Andreas refers to launch...when the full blown camera was 50k. The DSMC2 designation just brought all the cameras up to the Weapon Spec. My main camera, started life as a Forged Stealth Weapon Dragon and the price tag in the bundle with a few dodgy bits was $79K. I had it "upgraded" to Helium when that became available. When DSMC2 landed it cut the value of my camera in half. So mine did in fact drop significantly in price.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

    Living life by the ocean.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #47  
    Will be interesting to see what will be announced first. The new arri s35 or dsmc3. No matter what is shown first I think that will be quite a shootout.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #48  
    Senior Member Rakesh Malik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    Andreas refers to launch...when the full blown camera was 50k. The DSMC2 designation just brought all the cameras up to the Weapon Spec. My main camera, started life as a Forged Stealth Weapon Dragon and the price tag in the bundle with a few dodgy bits was $79K. I had it "upgraded" to Helium when that became available. When DSMC2 landed it cut the value of my camera in half. So mine did in fact drop significantly in price.
    I was also talking about the launch... but with so many options that included Helium sensors, a "Helium" started at $30K, but includes... is it now three other camera models? Honestly, I've lost track. And hence this side discussion directly resulting from that confusion since "Helium" refers to a wide range of cameras. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #49  
    Senior Member Scot Yount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Marblehead, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    I was also talking about the launch... but with so many options that included Helium sensors, a "Helium" started at $30K, but includes... is it now three other camera models? Honestly, I've lost track. And hence this side discussion directly resulting from that confusion since "Helium" refers to a wide range of cameras. :)
    Maybe I don't understand what you are saying. But "launch" to me means when the cameras were first available to purchase. Epic-W was $30K unless you had a Scarlet-W on order that they were unable to deliver. If that was your case you could buy Epic-W for $20k. I know because I bought both an Epic-W at the lower price and had my so called Stealth Forged Weapon upgraded to Helium. Helium Weapon was sold new and only came in woven CF for $50k. Then, as you know everything got morphed into DSMC2, which slashed the value of my "Weapon". I have thought seriously about upgrading it to Monstro, but would hate to drop that cash only to have DSMC 3 come out next year.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

    Living life by the ocean.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #50  
    Senior Member Michael Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    I have thought seriously about upgrading it to Monstro, but would hate to drop that cash only to have DSMC 3 come out next year.
    Keep and use your helium and maybe pickup a relatively cheap R5 for some full frame fun and wait for DSMC3...

    Before I get flamed - the thread is about best course of action and it just seems in your particular case that the depreciation on Monstro due to competition in the next year or so either from RED DSMC3 or others would be pretty brutal.
    Save the Sharks
    __________________
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts