Thread: Adapting older lenses L39 + Kiev16u

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Adapting older lenses L39 + Kiev16u 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    I'm assuming the Kiev 16u lenses won't cover the S35 frame, yeah? Don't see any adapter except to Micro 4/3.
    Also, I'd assume the L39 Leica screw lenses would work fine, but can't for the life of me find an adapter to EOS - only EOS-M.

    Any experience with either of these?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    You can use an adapter ring to go from L39 to M42 - eg. https://fotodioxpro.com/products/m39-m42

    Then you can use an M42 to Canon EOS adapter - eg. https://fotodioxpro.com/products/m42-eos-v2
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    You can use an adapter ring to go from L39 to M42 - eg. https://fotodioxpro.com/products/m39-m42

    Then you can use an M42 to Canon EOS adapter - eg. https://fotodioxpro.com/products/m42-eos-v2
    Double adapt! Thanks Les
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    No worries, have fun with those older lenses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    759
    Your lens will probably be too far away frome the sensor? At least that is my problem with the canon 35mm 1,5 and 50mm 0,95 for rangefinder. I have to ude a modified Leica M mount
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    Good point Jens, looks like I got that wrong in regards to the Leica L39 lenses being adaptable to Canon EOS.

    Here's a list of lens mount flange distances and thread sizes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount

    I was just focusing on the thread size, and was confused because I've used L39 to M42 adapters on non-Leica rangefinder lenses (and M42 to Leica-M adapters), when Tyler actually specified Leica screw-mount lenses instead.

    Sorry Tyler (will notify him by PM too).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Good point Jens, looks like I got that wrong in regards to the Leica L39 lenses being adaptable to Canon EOS.

    Here's a list of lens mount flange distances and thread sizes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount

    I was just focusing on the thread size, and was confused because I've used L39 to M42 adapters on non-Leica rangefinder lenses (and M42 to Leica-M adapters), when Tyler actually specified Leica screw-mount lenses instead.

    Sorry Tyler (will notify him by PM too).
    It was only $7 no worries. The second I put it in front I knew it wouldn't work haha. Still nice to have for a 5D or something I'm assuming.

    Just to clear it up, there's no way to make it work right? Because it would need glass or something at this distance yeah?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    Correct, the 5D with a Canon EOS mount can't use L39 (or Leica M) rangefinder lenses because those rangefinder lenses are meant to mount closer to the camera sensor than the EOS mount allows.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Correct, the 5D with a Canon EOS mount can't use L39 (or Leica M) rangefinder lenses because those rangefinder lenses are meant to mount closer to the camera sensor than the EOS mount allows.
    Gotcha. It shall stay on the BMPCC for now u til one day I get a Leica :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    759
    There is a way. I am currently getting a custom mount made for my Monstro at C7 adapters. It will be a 55mm thread, I think and then I will have various step-up rings for L39, M42 and my Canon 50mm 0.95 (its 50mm)
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts