Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA SDK and updated REDCINE-X now available

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Hopefully an update to rcx comes soon. There is a number of bugs in this one.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W

Is it correct that the Canon 18-80 IS is still not supported?
    Support for IS would be great in a future release, seems like a nice little lens for docu work, but not sure I would get it if IS does not work on our Red.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Why aren't NLE's implementing this NVidia+RED SDK?

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Why aren't NLE's implementing this NVidia+RED SDK?
    I guess as a PC only thing they are not too quick on the trigger. Im only guessing lot of them do one build and then port to different platforms and then they dont want too much differences going on between the different versions.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I guess as a PC only thing they are not too quick on the trigger. Im only guessing lot of them do one build and then port to different platforms and then they dont want too much differences going on between the different versions.
    I suspect that another reason is that most professional editors don't edit raw, they edit intermediates. So the likes of Avid that are mainly pro-oriented don't have any reason to, and Adobe's largest market is weddings where people shooting with Reds are an extreme rarity, so they probably aren't getting that much of a push from their customers.

For Black Magic though it's anybody's guess.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    I suspect that another reason is that most professional editors don't edit raw, they edit intermediates. So the likes of Avid that are mainly pro-oriented don't have any reason to, and Adobe's largest market is weddings where people shooting with Reds are an extreme rarity, so they probably aren't getting that much of a push from their customers.
    For Premiere honestly it'd be nice but its not that important. A decent system + recent nvidia GPU performs really well as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post

For Black Magic though it's anybody's guess.

Yes, avid has not been known to be especially quick on the draw when it comes to importing new / different formats. And I dont know how common it is to have PC avids, have not seen an avid in many years but back then it was mostly Mac. Same with Premiere editors they seem to do Adobe on OSX even if there is PC users out there I hardly know any editor using a PC. Even compositors tend to use Mac´s or Linux machines. So the window of users that benefit from this is quite narrow and again, making completely different versions for different platforms is problematic.

I hope RED get together with apple and do the same thing for AMD metal or what ever its called. So Red can have one SDK that flies on both pc and Mac, or yes, that Nvidia and apple stop behaving like little kids.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Well, with the upcoming R9-3950x for single stream 8k and the Threadripper 3000 series for multi-stream 8k this whole solution is to expensive and obsolete anyway.
    For laptops on the other hand, it's still a nice solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Well, with the upcoming R9-3950x for single stream 8k and the Threadripper 3000 series for multi-stream 8k this whole solution is to expensive and obsolete anyway.
    For laptops on the other hand, it's still a nice solution.
    I see this in opposite direction. Red have prior getting known to be heavy to edit. It got alot better when some calculations went to the gpu. But for r3d to stay current when prores raw and braw is around its essential to have this implemented. Sure theres always a new more powerful machine around the corner, but it cost alot money which not all people handling red footage like to spend. Also, for the enviroment, it is good to not upgrade all workstation to often.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    I see this in opposite direction. Red have prior getting known to be heavy to edit. It got alot better when some calculations went to the gpu. But for r3d to stay current when prores raw and braw is around its essential to have this implemented. Sure theres always a new more powerful machine around the corner, but it cost alot money which not all people handling red footage like to spend. Also, for the enviroment, it is good to not upgrade all workstation to often.
    A CPU solution with the R9-3950x or the new threadripper 3000 is more cost effective than the NVidia solution, with the benefit that it works with all kinds of workflows, the NVidia+RED solution only works with RED footage.