Thread: SCARLET-X Won't Power On - ADORAMA Warranty?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SCARLET-X Won't Power On - ADORAMA Warranty? 
    Hey everyone,

So about a month and a week ago, (Feb 27th) I ordered a Scarlet X from Adorama through eBay. It came with a 30 day return policy and a 90 day warranty. Everything seemed fine with the camera at first until yesterday. I took it out the case and no matter what I did, I could not get it to power on using the wall adapter or V mount battery. The LED on adapter is solid green until you plug it into the camera and then it just flashes about 6 or 7 times. When I plug a battery in, the battery just resets itself. I have tried a force reset, firmware upgrade, and removing all attaching modules with no luck.

I am now outside of Adorama's 30 day return policy but within their 90 day warranty however after emailing their eBay department, they are stating that their warranty only covers "manufacturing defects and not excessive wear and tear". Camera has been used maybe 10 hours in the past month and a half and resides in a pelican case. Has anyone encountered this issue before and/or know of a fix to get the camera back up and running? If not, has anyone had to go through the warranty claim process with Adorama, since they're an authorized seller for RED?

Thanks for any advice!
    Michael R.
    Scarlet-X #01316
    Scarlet-X #02415
    www.evolvevisuals.com
    https://www.instagram.com/evolvevisuals/

Try using a cableless vmount module instead of plugging it in to the DC port.

Thanks, if they give me any trouble replacing the body that will be my next step.
    Michael R.
    Scarlet-X #01316
    Scarlet-X #02415
    www.evolvevisuals.com

an old scarlet? im afraid they arent going to be able to replace the body, im sure that's a used body from who knows where and who knows when. I think you will be on your own to either trouble shoot it and fix it yourself or by sending it into RED. Adorama cannot fix red camera on their own, nor replace a used item.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    an old scarlet? im afraid they arent going to be able to replace the body, im sure that's a used body from who knows where and who knows when. I think you will be on your own to either trouble shoot it and fix it yourself or by sending it into RED. Adorama cannot fix red camera on their own, nor replace a used item.
    Yeah an MX. RED won't fix it anymore so currently I'm dealing with Adorama now. They said they're "working to find a replacement now". Why do you say they won't be able to replace a used item?
    Michael R.
    Scarlet-X #01316
    Scarlet-X #02415
    www.evolvevisuals.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Redden View Post
    Yeah an MX. RED won't fix it anymore so currently I'm dealing with Adorama now. They said they're "working to find a replacement now". Why do you say they won't be able to replace a used item?
    because they would actually have to find another used item, it's not like they have used red cameras that are exactly the same laying around. someone would have to want to trade theirs in or sell theirs to adorama, who notoriously gives super low prices to buyers, you basically have to be desperate to sell to them. anyway, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    because they would actually have to find another used item, it's not like they have used red cameras that are exactly the same laying around. someone would have to want to trade theirs in or sell theirs to adorama, who notoriously gives super low prices to buyers, you basically have to be desperate to sell to them. anyway, good luck!
    Good point but they actually have a few used Scarlets listed on their site now. Truth be told, I should have just bought a DSMC2 body but this one was a pretty good deal. On a side note though, I've heard some of those horror stories about selling to them. "Desperate" is putting it nicely.
    Michael R.
    Scarlet-X #01316
    Scarlet-X #02415
    www.evolvevisuals.com

UPDATE: Adorama apologized for the inconvenience and is taking care of it. They sent me a prepaid return label and have a replacement brain on hold for me and will exchange once they receive the original back.
    Michael R.
    Scarlet-X #01316
    Scarlet-X #02415
    www.evolvevisuals.com

FINAL UPDATE: Upon receiving the original back, Adorama cancelled the exchange, blocked my account from messaging and kept the original camera and the money. I am now going through the dispute process with PayPal regarding the purchase. While this is only my experience with them, I would suggest that you exercise extreme caution when dealing with Adorama. While it may have only been a Scarlet MX brain for me, it could very well be a Helium for other RedUsers here.
    Michael R.
    Scarlet-X #01316
    Scarlet-X #02415
    www.evolvevisuals.com

That's a pretty shitty situation and horrible customer service. Thanks for sharing.
    Movme inc.
    Red Epic-W s/n 4015, 8K Digital Cinema Camera
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X
    DJI Ronin, Ready Rig, Vaxis 500+, Tilta Nucleus-M, OSEE HSM-700, Dynacore Mini