Thread: NEO Super Baltars

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 NEO Super Baltars 
    NEO Super Baltars

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/...super-baltars/

By Newsshooter

We take a look at the new NEO Super Baltar lenses at NAB 2019.

Read all our reports and reviews on newsshooter.com
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Have to say that's pretty cool...
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Nick

I didn't know Lens Manufacturers allowed outside entities to reproduce their lenses from the original blueprint. I thought there would by some type of copyright protection against it or something. Brian Caldwell is reproducing these lenses like a cake recipe.

Three things :

1. Brian has the original blueprints which were saved from destruction by their supposed caretakers (Bausch and Lomb corporation).

2. They had to be recalculated (Radius/thickness changes) for contemporary available glass types, as glasses can contain heavy metals which are no longer safe or ecologically healthy for use, which constitutes a variation on the design.

3. I could be wrong but the patents should be long expired on these.

These are really neat.

I’m partial to the set that actually looks like a Bausch and Lomb vintage lens aesthetic made for modern use.

Dan,

Forgot that the usual lifespan of a patent is about 20 years. According to the interviewee, that particular housing was one the more higher end housings for the Neo Super Baltars. He also seems to believe that they will be more for rentals. But hopefully individual consumers will have a chance to buy them as well.

Here's a test from 4 years ago by BrainBox Cameras of some Vintage Super Baltars on a Red Dragon 6K camera For example sake.

Super Baltars Vintage Cinema Lenses Overview and Tests

By BrainBox Cameras

Brainbox cameras gives an overview and shoots some tests on these classic hollywood cinema lenses.

Check out the 6K stills on our blog at www.brainboxcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Three things :

1. Brian has the original blueprints which were saved from destruction by their supposed caretakers (Bausch and Lomb corporation).

2. They had to be recalculated (Radius/thickness changes) for contemporary available glass types, as glasses can contain heavy metals which are no longer safe or ecologically healthy for use, which constitutes a variation on the design.

3. I could be wrong but the patents should be long expired on these.

These are really neat.

I’m partial to the set that actually looks like a Bausch and Lomb vintage lens aesthetic made for modern use.
    I dont agree I say fuck that guy and dont buy his lenses.

Comparison,
    If you start to making black plastic sunglasses, and you call them "NEO Wayfarer" and say that you got the original drawings from RayBan and that your stuff is same but better, not the same old coatings on the lenses and such but still... Thats a really shitty thing to do if you ask me.

I think you then should be sued, and you should not only be sued by RayBan but also by people that actually bought the real wayfarers. As these copy cats and thieves does not only hurt the original manufacturer but also the customers that honors the real deal. Real super baltars are sought after and people paid high dollars to get lenses with that name on their rentalhouse shelf and that should be respected. This guy infringe on all of that. I dont care if his lenses are shit good like master primes and and Leica summilux- C´s combined or shit bad, no matter what he should go and make up some other name for them, not ride on others investments.

Now, I dont own Super Baltars, I used to, if I still had them I would love to sue this guy to kingdom kong and I'm sure my case would be solid. As I doubt he bought the drawings the name, the logo, the lens design from B&L. If he did then yes ofcourse, I stand back. But more likely, he used the service drawings and figured that name stealing was ok if adding a "NEO" infront.

And Dan, when you write a post like this I cant help to think that it would be interesting if some company started to make "Neo Atlas Orions" that looked just like yours, and they claimed they improved the coatings and other stuff and sold them for half the price...

As I see it the IP theft and name stealing etc in this industry needs to slow down and the first step of that would be that the actual film community at least called people out when stealing. Sure its fine to go ahead and make copies of 60 year old glass that is no longer being manufactured. But then at least be creative enough to make up a new name for them that very much separates them from the original. Adding "Neo" in front does not cut it in my book thats riding on someone back, in a bad way.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

The ones that know the difference - can't be fooled.
    The ones that don't...well, they don't care anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
    The ones that know the difference - can't be fooled.
    The ones that don't...well, they don't care anyway.
    Agree, but I just think he should still be called out for what he does. Which is ripoff copies. If they where good lenses I'm sure they could fly under some other name.

Here are some B&L blueprints.

Both lenses have rather sharp center and gradually go to complete blur at the edges, which is very cool for 3d effect portrature work.

And now Baltar 75mm vs first Cooke Speed Panchro 75mm:

NEW SUPER BALTAR PROFESSIONAL MOTION PICTURE CAMERA LENSES
    Title page:
    [/QUOTE]
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I dont agree I say fuck that guy and dont buy his lenses.
    I think that's a bit strong and uncalled for. He has contributed *a lot* to lens design across multiple facets and AFAIK this is a passion project for him. No one is claiming these are identical to the originals.

If we're going to be pedantic about it, ALL lenses are derivative in some way shape or form and have been for decades. Most descend from the basic designs set out years ago. No one is up in arms about Lomo vs Cooke, which are blatant copies (Had both at one point). Or G35 vs K35 from Gekko. Or the myriad of rehouses going on all the time. Cooke themselves reinvent the same lenses with modern glass replacing old glass. (okay, it's still cooke...)

I don't often disagree with what you write...

cheers
    Paul