Thread: Davinci Resolve 16 Beta

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Isn't that valid for any codec not supported by an NLE.
    FCPX is famous for not supporting codecs (DNx, ARRIRAW, X-OCN, BRAW) and they are still around.
    Funny, now you're confusing editing with color grading...

With your type of workflow people can't edit RAW, so they first have to transcode ProResRAW to ProRes(something) before they can start editing.
    I really don't see the benefit of 12 bits ProResRAW through an external recorder over 16 bits ARRIRAW with CFast or Codex.
    Please read Mike's post above, if you can't understand the reasoning behind transcoding.
    Hint, you normally don't do creative editing using acquisition codecs...
    I think, once you understand the concept of offline editing- online finishing, we can have a more productive conversation...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

The non distructive editing in RAW and export to something else(DPX, EXR, DNx, Cineform, etc..) is a nice feature of Resolve and probable more NLE's.
    Seriously? You're back to advocating editing using RAW files??? And what is a "non distructive editing"??? :)))
    Anyway, if you have a valid point to make about Prores RAW and Resolve (this is a Resolve 16 thread after all), I'm all ears, otherwise I'm not interested in participating in this pointless conversation...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Although it's really, really difficult for me to do this, I'm going to actually have to agree with Jake here. Although Resolve on Linux is used for conforming and finishing, if we're talking about "creative" editing, the vast majority of people using Resolve for that are likely running it on Windows or the Mac. As for Lightworks, I would say the same caveat would apply (nonwithstanding Jake's contention that LW is "an open source thingy", which I don't agree with).

Now, that said, for me, the term "NLE" does not refer only to offline editing programs. A conform and finishing package, like Flame Premium, or for that matter Resolve, is just as much a non-linear editor as Avid or Premiere Pro are. So depending on your interpretation of the terminology, other views are possible....
    Resolve on Linux works very good on systems with NUMA.
    Windows is not NUMA aware when you go higher than 2 socket.
    The Linux version also supports more GPU's than the Mac and Windows versions.
    And with the Advance Panel License Dongle under Linux you can export to ProRes.

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Funny, now you're confusing editing with color grading...
    Well no, I can import DNx, ARRIRAW, X-OCN, BRAW in Adobe or Resolve and start editing, I can't do that with FCPX because FCPX can't import those codecs.
    And you can also color grade with those NLE's.

Please read Mike's post above, if you can't understand the reasoning behind transcoding.
    I think, once you understand the concept of offline editing- online finishing, we can continue this conversation...
    I have read that and that has been valid for a long time to make dalies with DNx, Cineform or ProRes, but it's time to move on Kodak film isn't what it used to be.

These days however hard and software is getting better, you can review the RAW-files on site with programs like Davinci Resolve (even 8k.R3D files can be reviewed on a laptop these days in realtime 1/2 res).

Davinci Resolve 16 Object Removal VS Mocha Pro

By Aram K

Davinci Resolve 16 Object Removal VS Mocha Pro
    ► PLEASE SUBSCRIBE !!! https://bit.ly/2zXF4m0
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-12-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Can you zoom the upper timeline in the cut page? Its not so useful when you have a few minutes as the clips gets so tiny. Will have a better look at it tonight but at the first glance i did not se any zoom. I wanted dual timelines so its a big feature for me. But i like to be able to set both timelines zoom level.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Seriously? You're back to advocating editing using RAW files??? And what is a "non distructive editing"??? :)))
    REDCODE allows for non-destructive editing and stores the original material without modifying or requiring a duplicate copy of the material. This makes grading fully reversible, maximizes image quality, and reduces storage requirements. This non-destructive editing is fully supported by all the major post-production software packages such as Adobe, Apple, Avid, Resolve, etc.
    Same is valid for any other type of RAW or other codec.

https://www.red.com/red-tech/redcode-raw

Anyway, if you have a valid point to make about Prores RAW and Resolve (this is a Resolve 16 thread after all), I'm all ears, otherwise I'm not interested in participating in this pointless conversation...
    Yep, for the moment Resolve is not going to support ProResRAW, for whatever reason.
    And it worked out quite well for BMD, looking at the sales numbers and backorders for the UMP(G2) and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.
    With a BRAW camera you got Davinci Resolve Studio for free, which runs under Windows, Linux or MacOS. For ProResRAW you additionally had to buy an Atomos Recorder and were forced to use an Apple computer and FCPX for the past year. The indies must have been really happy with spending all that extra money.

CUT page vs. EDIT page - DaVinci Resolve 16

By Learn Color Grading

First Impression and thoughts about DaVinci Resolve 16 Cut Page

By JayAreTV

Rambling about how I don't understand the cut page. Do you feel the cut page is going to speed up your workflow?

Davinci Resolve 16 is HERE & EVEN BETTER!! | A First Look

By Cameron Gallagher