Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED Monstro 8K VV & ARRI Alexa LF 4.5K Camera Test 2019

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Yup, there is no question that we are still learning. Arri is "easy" for the same reasons you listed. I like to think you can squeeze more out of a RED, but you need to invest in learning the tool. That's an asset but also a liability.

That's why when you look at the cinematographers that shoot RED, they are usually far more technical and they understand the technology behind the image a bit more than others. You don't need the Phil Hollands of the world on the ARRI side, because there just isn't that depth. That's why it is so polarizing.

Arri isn't a company that invents things... they just don't. They are a company that does a really, really great job of refining.

We are the opposite... We are pretty good at inventing things, and we kinda suck on the refinement . And that's what we are doing now.... Learning the refinement part.
    That's fair.

I think it's also important to remember that without Red there wouldn't necessarily even be an Alexa yet. The Red One was one giant kick up the ass for Arri and everyone else.
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dowler View Post
    That's fair.

I think it's also important to remember that without Red there wouldn't necessarily even be an Alexa yet. The Red One was one giant kick up the ass for Arri and everyone else.

but bro, D-20 was out a couple years prior. best thing red ever did was sell R1 for under $20K. now that was a kick

also base iso? native iso? who even came up with that? 800? 1600? it like it don't even matter. Iz got sooooo many stops

dr charts are kinda trash. stops are doubling of light. what happens in between the doubling tho? i bet sooooo much. linear is cool. it's scientific but curves are what our eyes see. maybe more important? that curve between the stops? kinda like the smoothness of transitions? highlights and all dat? that inbetweeny is that what we call micro-contrast? cause that's what makes an image more more. gotta get me more more curves to even out all dat harsh chip chart squares.

and we're shooting LF on my current show. no pause to go 2000+ on that EI. noise? yeah maybe? she got nice noise tho.
    Last edited by Adrian Jebef; 05-01-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    and we're shooting LF on my current show. no pause to go 2000+ on that EI. noise? yeah maybe? she got nice noise tho.
    Another good reason here why it's all subjective. I want ZERO noise, no matter how "pretty" it may be. Also, if I end up wanting that "filmic" look, I just put it in post.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

The monstro trounced it in lowlight. The grain is much more than i expected, even with a mild downscale.

The one place the Alexa took the lead was the highlights of the flashlight in the warehouse with the guy and the light box. the monstro bloomed white, the Alexa held it together all the way to the source.

I feel like the monstro was exposed 1/4 stop hotter the whole time. especially in the scene with the four women in the garage. Had it been pulled slightly, the skin tones would have built up a bit more density. Under exposure is kind of your friend with modern RED.

Thank you Phil. Great work.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Thank you Phil. Very informative! Did not make me love my Monstro less. Shooting ALEV III next week and will also enjoy that :-)
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Thanks Phil. Good work.
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I purposefully am not talking much about what's better or worse, I'm not going to tell anybody what they should use and you can make nice images with both systems. This is a test mainly to highlight the differences and let them decide for themselves really.
    Haha, yes, the following explanations were totally unbiased.
    After 10 years of Red vs Arri comparisons on RU, nothing change.
    Arri vs MX: "Red looks better".
    Arri vs Dragon: "Dragon is so much better than MX, now it's on par with Arri, even better".
    Arri vs DSMC2: "Dragon was ok, but now we're getting closer to the Alexa, Red is even superior".
    Can't wait for the DSMC3 vs Arri to tell us that finally, despite the so so previous models, Red beats the Alexa.
    But on my calibrated monitor, there's no comparison, Arri is still the king, and it's insane after 10 years with the same sensor.
    Last edited by Ugo Del; 08-04-2019 at 12:23 PM.