Thread: DSMC1 no longer being serviced by RED?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC1 no longer being serviced by RED? 
    I'll admit I've been hiding under a rock, but this took me by surprise. Is it really true that RED no longer is serviving Dragon DSMC1 cameras?

That's one way to get us to buy new cameras.

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.

If it’s true, I’m not impressed. A new camera bought three years ago should not be obsolete already.
    Last edited by Rami Mikhail; 04-03-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Rami Mikhail - Director @ Rami Films

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt View Post
    I'll admit I've been hiding under a rock, but this took me by surprise. Is it really true that RED no longer is serviving Dragon DSMC1 cameras?

Stephen

I called RED last week about something else and asked them this question specifically at the end of the call. They said there was no immediate plan to stop servicing DSMC cameras but notice would be given as to when they intend to cease service. It would be a serious drag if what you are claiming were true. Where did you hear this?

... as in if something happens to the camera, that's that? Or did you mean upgrades?

I hope this isn't true for many years to come. I know there are advantages to DSMC2 but the image quality on Epic Dragon is still creating gold.

Would be great to put this fire out ASAP, if anyone knows what's up.

Current status of DSMC1 bodies:

- Upgrade paths have been closed and lasted for a really, really long time.
    - Parts and Servicing will be ongoing until they run out of bits, bobs, and bolts. Making those parts at this point would be a rather costly endeavor as DSMC2 has been out since 2015 and is the main manufacturing chain and service focus.

Current status of DSMC2 bodies:
    - The current camera body which was guaranteed as the main stay platform until at least 2020.

That's all I know.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I think those of us still on DSMC1 bodies committed to the form factor a while ago, and accept that there are no upgrade paths left. Totally fine.

Re servicing - regardless of DSMC2 bodies coming out in 2015 many of us purchased DSMC1 Dragons in 2015 as well. I'd at least hope for support for 5 years on a product this expensive. Not sure what bits and bobs is referring to? I had an internal board die on me in 2017 that needed replacement. Camera wouldn't boot without it so I'd hope that isn't a bit or a bob.

Yes, I was speaking of repair only. I don't care about upgrades.

As to bits and bobs, that's one lame excuse. RED can always cannibalize pre-existing DSMC 1 cameras to get all the parts its needs.

Is anyone aware of any third-party repair services should the need arise?

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.

I was specifically told by a tech my Epic MX is no longer eligible for repairs of any sort.

Yes, I was speaking of repair only. I don't care about upgrades.

As to bits and bobs, that's one lame excuse. RED can always cannibalize pre-existing DSMC 1 cameras to get all the parts its needs.

Is anyone aware of any third-party repair services should the need arise?

Stephen
    I'm pretty sure cannibalizing DSMC1 cameras is under the umbrella of existing parts.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Stephen
    Please check out my RED Camera Series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TMf5gdvV-FxAln I can Repair and service your camera.
    C.G. Productions and Entertainment

RED DSMC 1 Repair

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TMf5gdvV-FxAln