Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Canon SUMIRE PL Lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I welcome any lens, good or bad, into the large sensor glass mix :)

There are a few really great shots Freek did in the Canon Sumire sample movie released today , which just happened to be shot on RED MONSTRO ;)

I do like the look these sumires give, but I am with you all, I do not understand the price nor the lack of lens data.

Everyone knows I love EF mount. And I Love the new R mount even more.. Canon did some really cool things there. These seem to go against that work.
    I mean its easy with filtration to make anything bloom, why not just let the user choose how that happens when wide open. I just dont understand. Now those new Tokina One's that just came out are making me drool. Trying to convince ryan to let me get my hands on a set.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

I welcome any lens, good or bad, into the large sensor glass mix :)

There are a few really great shots Freek did in the Canon Sumire sample movie released today , which just happened to be shot on RED MONSTRO ;)

I do like the look these sumires give, but I am with you all, I do not understand the price nor the lack of lens data.

Everyone knows I love EF mount. And I Love the new R mount even more.. Canon did some really cool things there. These seem to go against that work.
    Is it possible to get the RF mount on dsmc? Or will it not work out???

Such a lens BS- unbelievable. And you guys are buying this??!!!. After all this time? another unbelievable.....but true , what a gullible bunch ;-) I guess people are begging for modern K35 so what is Canon to do? Yes, sure, we'll tell you want you want to believe, why not?
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

From what I understand Canon's new optical R&D efforts are pretty much all aimed at R mount, specifically relating to stills glass, which will likely trickle into cinema glass somehow.

I'm with all of you regarding the Sumires, but they are indeed answering one request from filmmakers regarding a slightly more vintage feel. I agree the effort is a strange one however. Not nearly as weird as launching cinema cameras and lenses that featured PL mounts, then not actually having those mounts on the primes, but I guess everybody has gotten that memo now.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mestizo Devon View Post
    Is it possible to get the RF mount on dsmc? Or will it not work out???
    RF mount would require sensor to be moved closer to the front of the camera body, so.... for DSMC2 or DSMC1.... zero chance. Need a RED body redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    RF mount would require sensor to be moved closer to the front of the camera body, so.... for DSMC2 or DSMC1.... zero chance. Need a RED body redesign.
    I thought the mount could be placed closer to the sensor, but maybe this is not possible

Quote Originally Posted by Mestizo Devon View Post
    I thought the mount could be placed closer to the sensor, but maybe this is not possible
    Theoretically... yes for new camera designs. Not possible for current cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Theoretically... yes for new camera designs. Not possible for current cameras.
    Dig it, I guess if a new mount is used on dsmc3 you could still use an adapter for ef lens, but PL would be off...

As someone with a set of the 'original' CN-E primes all I really wanted was user swappable EF/PL versions. And a lot of people just wanted PL versions. Canon could have really cleaned up if they had released the originals in both EF and PL from the beginning. The Sumire's are literally double the price of the EF's(~$52K for a set of Sumire's vs. less than $26K for the originals), they're softer and less contrasty(I've always liked the look of the original primes and think they make people look good), focus roll-off is very steep(I've been told it's like falling off a cliff) and there is no data(just a "dumb" PL mount). Now I haven't seen the lenses in person, but I'm not feeling it for them. The next one on my list is probably the Sigma 105 T1.5. I've demo'd it and it's beautiful. It also intercuts with my original CN-E's, no problem.

Really odd choices. I think i read they were basically double the price as well. There's nothing in them that would draw me to them unlike some of the other newer offering which visibly look great. Crazy. They look like every other lens from 10+ years ago...

cheers
    Paul