Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Monstro: High ISO grid pattern

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Its not cleaner its basically same image developed a hint darker or brighter, and its by a small fraction, I doubt the clients in video village will see the difference. I guess this is looking at black shades at 12800 iso or such.... thats not optimal iso to impress video village, if you slide ISO at least down to half of that then your blacks will probably show as proper black. But preferably give your lowlights a bit more fill and push down with a curve to compensate and your blacks should not even a trace of noise.
    Interesting! Obviously this wasn't meant to show how ISO 12,800 looks but rather to push the exposure to the max (12.8K ISO +8 Flut) to see if there is any difference between different sensor temps (as was indicated by other users in past threads).
    I'll happily rerun the tests and see how things change.

Why would you switch scaling to smoother? As per the Resolve Manual - which is not very specific or detailed unfortunately:

Sharper: Usually provides the best quality in projects using clips that must be scaled up to fill larger frame size or scaled down to HD resolutions.

Smoother: May provide higher quality for projects using clips that must be scaled down to fit a SD resolution frame size.

Also curious how the different LUT pipeline would affect the scaling or image quality?

And coming back to why I started this thread initially: how can I get the most out of this beautiful sensor. Even though not practical or needed for most projects, I enjoy rating the sensor much higher, underexposing it and having a lot of "natural" grain in the image instead of adding a post grain. I was just testing to see how a daylight exterior rated at 6,400 would look. Regardless it seems like the grainy image revealed a bigger finishing/downscaling issue. There is no need to finish in 8K right now. 4K is more than enough for what I am using the camera for. If Resolves scaling is the actual culprit - what better options are out there? I could easily finish a 8K Master in Resolve and downscale with another tool that is more sophisticated.

Curious to hear what your guys's workflow is!!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    timsessler.com & brooklynaerials.com | RED Monstro 8K VV

Also meant to share some stills from the high ISO test that I did. Just a quick walk in Santa Monica. All rated at ISO 6,400 - was using a Kodak Portra LUT, otherwise straight out the camera. Here are some 8K JPEGs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8lf5996n...h5VCa6_Ya?dl=0

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

These look really great! Mind if I ask what Portra LUT you're using? It is for IPP2 or to use on top of Rec709?
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

I gotta ask; the sun was out so how come your cranked it to 6400 (or were you specifically testing high ISO)?

(Definitely love that under the boardwalk/sun peaking through shot. So spicy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    These look really great! Mind if I ask what Portra LUT you're using? It is for IPP2 or to use on top of Rec709?
    Thank you! It . works with REDWideGamutRGB and Log3G10. Would be nice to have it work within the IPP2 pipeline as well - thats my next task ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I gotta ask; the sun was out so how come your cranked it to 6400 (or were you specifically testing high ISO)?

(Definitely love that under the boardwalk/sun peaking through shot. So spicy.)

Ha! Good point! I just finally got my ND 3.0 and still have to add more to it ;)

The whole point of the test was to see how the image holds up at higher ISOs. I am always adding grain for everything in post - so I was curious if I could get a similar result by underexposing a ton and pushing the image to a point, right before it falls apart. I obviously understand that post grain gives me a lot more flexibility and is a much safer choice - but wanted to test it regardless :)