Thread: Another little test and more thoughts

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Another little test and more thoughts 
    Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Last year I went out with a skeleton crew and my nephew to shoot hoops and test the Monstro.

I’m honestly battling with this camera when it comes to doc stuff. MN is not a big town in terms of narrative work. Commercials are somewhat substantial here and if you’re “plugged in” can make a decent living. With that said, I’ve had this camera in the rental house for some time but haven’t received any hits. I’m not questioning the camera or buying it (at least as of right now) I’m questioning more of the market here, and/or if I should display more of the Monstro’s talents for clientele?

With that said, it’s hard for me to decipher this beast because I still cannot grasp the image. I find myself looking at Vimeo and YouTube clips of the Monstro and still not finding that right “look” for how I want to use this camera.
    I guess it will take a lot more testing.

R3Ds:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l2G...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNJ...ew?usp=sharing

Clip:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Xx...ew?usp=sharing
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

David,

Here is a look for both out of Redcine-X.

Alternate 2

Alternate 2 with secondary curve

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-31-2019 at 09:54 PM.

A low-light look, just for the hell of it (thanks too for the reminder of how awesome that camera is) -

It makes sense that if you have more material showing what you can do with the Monstro then you might be able to get more work with it, in a 'this particular camera and my skills with it can give you this kind of result' sort of way. But I guess the market still has to be there in the first place to a large extent.

Not sure what it is you're looking for though. How do you want to use the camera, and what is the 'look' you're not finding that suits that use?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post

It makes sense that if you have more material showing what you can do with the Monstro then you might be able to get more work with it, in a 'this particular camera and my skills with it can give you this kind of result' sort of way. But I guess the market still has to be there in the first place to a large extent.

Not sure what it is you're looking for though. How do you want to use the camera, and what is the 'look' you're not finding that suits that use?
    I tend to want to emulate and very crispy image like Prometheus or Social Network, but I find myself struggling in that effort. I feel like I've gotten close with my other works but not quite there or at least, I haven't found my "voice" when it comes to the style of things. I'm sure I'll really know it when I see it though, but at this point I continue to just try different looks when filming.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package

Based on those examples I'd say concentrate on the lighting then, and of course what you put in front of the camera.

The camera can give you what you want imo, if not more than that (as an example, the previous picture I posted had zero sharpening applied, but the level of detail is probably more than most people would care to see/use).

Lens choice & filtration is something to consider too when searching for a certain look.

Then there's the whole post-processing 'thing', which really should be something that's factored in from the start, in alignment with all the other image-forming elements, imo (ie. shooting for a pre-determined look that's then completed in post).

Not saying anything new here I know...
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 04-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.

I would stop down more, Monsto needs it or you get those blurry ears and way out of focus backdrops in your closups and no tack sharp areas in your wides. I think social network also was shot with an early prototype of the motion mount so I assume it more of a sinus wave kind of shutter.

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...amp=1521652837
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Nice grade Teddy. Looks to me a lot like the sort of thing the OP was after.

Thanks y'all! Here's a re-upload in 4k.

BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package

Looks pretty good to me.