Thread: small powerfull lights?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 small powerfull lights? 
    Hello,

Are there any new lights that pack a lot of power? The last lights I used were the aputure 300D LED's but shooting at harsh condition through softbox it wasnt nearly bright enough. So looking for something that packs a lot more light but that is still relative small but also affordable. I love the bowens s mount though. Does it exist?

Thanks!

So brighter than the 300d but small and cheap..... I think you can have 2 of those options but not 3.

Is it even physically possible to make a 300w + LED in a body smaller than the 300d?
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Might want to look into a k5600 joker. It's the only small light that can pack a good punch. If you have lots of cash burning a hole in your pocket, buy a new Joker 2. Or grab an older version 800.

Quote Originally Posted by RobMNeilson View Post
    Might want to look into a k5600 joker. It's the only small light that can pack a good punch. If you have lots of cash burning a hole in your pocket, buy a new Joker 2. Or grab an older version 800.
    thx, 200,400 or 800w? Not sure how much a 200w joker bug brings to the table? (not possible for a bowens s mount on this right? probably also due to heat its not usable either)

http://www.k5600.com/crossover/

If you want to optimize for output in a small fixture, Jokers would be the way to go. Yes, they will get hot.

Otherwise, Aputure 300D is probably the highest output small LED that I've found. Digital Sputniks are small and punchy, but I don't think they or the Hives have as much output. Rayzr is bigger and bulkier.

Check out the Profoto HMI's. I've got an old 1200W that still works just fine. The Profoto modifiers are world class and used by some of the best photographers out there.

Personally I would only look into the joker 800. 400 is still useful, but you can sorta get there with a good LED. 200 is too small of a punch, but if someone wanted to give you one for free I'd take it!

Yeah joker is the way to go for brighter than 300w led in a small package. However hmi pars are pretty inefficient for diffusing due to the narrow native beam angle. If you're sure you want soft light you might get more out of a "mat" style LED light as they are even more efficient for diffusing than a cob. Perhaps you were losing a lot of light in the softbox.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Take a look at the Hive plasma fixtures. Not sure how small you need, but they-are-bright.