Thread: Epic-W EOL ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic-W EOL ? 
    Has there been any word as to when/if Epic-W won’t be eligible for future upgrades? I thought about going Gemini but I just couldn’t justify it. But, I would like to stay with Red into the future so I don’t wanna miss the boat.... Has anyone got any idea on the status of Epic-W moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Wilkinson View Post
    Has there been any word as to when/if Epic-W won’t be eligible for future upgrades? I thought about going Gemini but I just couldn’t justify it. But, I would like to stay with Red into the future so I don’t wanna miss the boat.... Has anyone got any idea on the status of Epic-W moving forward?
    There's the 5000 USD upgrade to DSMC2 Helium. I think that is the current upgrade path for Epic W. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

I thought originally you could upgrade to either Helium 8k or Gemini for 5k, but I'm not seeing that option anymore..
    Joshua VP Filming and Editing LLC.
    joshuavp.com

RED EPIC WEAPON -- PDX || MSP

Yep. That's what I meant by Gemini upgrade, I nearly took that 5K "upgrade" but I just couldn't justify the spend at this point in time. I'm aware of that path, I just want to know when/if that expires as I don't wan't to nbe left out in the cold for DSMC3.

What we know for now is that future sensors will only work with dsmc2 brains. So us that have Epic-W would need to do some upgrade to be able to get the new sensor.
    Dsmc3 for now is just rumors, since nothing official has been said. And when the first weapon appeared they said the form factor (dsmc2) was going to be supported at least by 2020.
    At this point is all speculation, but given Reds record, I don't think they would leave Epic-W people behind of an eventual dsmc3 body (probably $5K+ more expensive that the dsmc2 Helium). Just my thoughts...

We just got the teradek module...I don't think they'll change that fast. We just got our Monstro sensor a little over one year ago and we pre-ordered...years ago at NAB. Plus they just released the ranger.
    Weapon CF Monstro #1119, Weapon Helium, Epic-X #7926 BAM, Raven #220

I wouldn't worry. For at least a year or two after they said no more upgrades from Epic-X Dragon, they would occasionally reach out with new options to upgrade to DSMC2. Never quite seemed quite worth it IMO, but I'm sure there will be options.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua VP View Post
    I thought originally you could upgrade to either Helium 8k or Gemini for 5k, but I'm not seeing that option anymore..
    The Gemini upgrade option can be found here:
    https://www.red.com/DSMC2-GEMINI-5K-...N-6K-EPIC-W-8K

I did it for one of my bodies and am really liking Gemini. Waiting to see if there are any announcements at NAB and/or Cinegear re DSMC3 before doing anything with my Epic-W Helium which I still love. So far Red has given us a heads up about upgrade program end dates, ditto what Josef said. But it would help to know if DSMC2 modules will be DSMC3 compatible. I'd pull the trigger on a production module or two if I knew what was up.
    Corey Robson
    1x Epic-W