Thread: 8K Output to 8K TV. What TV's, codecs, workflow?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 8K Output to 8K TV. What TV's, codecs, workflow? 
    Hi all,

Have recently been asked to do a project that will be mastered in 8K to be displayed in a venue. That venue is asking for opinions on 8K screens. They are looking into consumer LG's, Samsungs, Sharps and Sonys, all with available 8K displays.

Have anyone done something to be displayed at such displays? What will be needed?

I edit in Final Cut X but can move to another editor if necessary. I can edit natively in 8K but what file can I output for these TV's to play it? How is the footage delivered physically, and played back?

Also, any specific brand, codec is more friendly for this sort of independently developed and physically delivered content? it will need to be played in a constant loop. (USB, SD, hard Drive/ssd connectivity?)

Very specific questions but a bit lost here.

Cheers,

Sergio
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

I've produced footage that has been used for and on a few of those manufacturer's displays in 8K. Actually a lot in the last two years.

Depends a bit on the playback device itself. Generally I've delivered ProRes 422 HQ or H265 in 8K resolution, but on Rec.709 and HDR. Internally a couple TVs can handle an 8K H.265 file, but you'll need to test out data rates and playback.

Some systems have been connected to workstations, custom playback hardware, or simply streaming via a connection.

As for brand preference, all of the newest 8K displays shown at CES 2019 are worth looking at. Specifically the QLEDs from Samsung and the 8K OLED from LG, Sony's two TVs are pretty great too. Sharp's newest 8K screen isn't available worldwide, but it is a notable improvement over last year's model which I have in my living room.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I've produced footage that has been used for and on a few of those manufacturer's displays in 8K. Actually a lot in the last two years.

Depends a bit on the playback device itself. Generally I've delivered ProRes 422 HQ or H265 in 8K resolution, but on Rec.709 and HDR. Internally a couple TVs can handle an 8K H.265 file, but you'll need to test out data rates and playback.

Some systems have been connected to workstations, custom playback hardware, or simply streaming via a connection.

As for brand preference, all of the newest 8K displays shown at CES 2019 are worth looking at. Specifically the QLEDs from Samsung and the 8K OLED from LG, Sony's two TVs are pretty great too. Sharp's newest 8K screen isn't available worldwide, but it is a notable improvement over last year's model which I have in my living room.
    Thanks Phill, that is great info.

About delivery, this is for an installation on a particular space that they hope runs for a few years. Its an exhibition of sorts. They want to have the content playing from the display, and its my job to give them the content and make sure it plays on their displays. I'm reading as much as I can, but I'm struggling to see if the displays can accept any sort of 8K content outside of web streaming. Streaming would be a bit of an issue I think.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to ingest the footage through a USB pen, but I really don't know if there's any performance issues or if that is even possible.

As a Mac and FCPX user I see there are no templates in Compressor for 8K, but it seems like I can custom input the 8K resolution in a custom setting. Would this work in any display that you know of? H264 8K, is it possible? h265 mpeg4 container, is that readable?

Am a bit lost in the desert here.
    Sérgio Perez

Hey Misha thanks for the link, I’ve searched for the brochures and read these manufacturers pages but just cant find any reference to how to ingest the footage (i see usb connectivity) or specific codecs for 8K...
    Sérgio Perez

Supported codecs:
    MPEG4
    HEVC
    VP9 Profile2

It has it's own media player so you can just put some files on a usb stick(drive). The mediaplayer runs under Samsungs Tizen operating system which doesn't support dts-sound and samsung is famous for not updating this. Also the viewing angles are kind of crap(because of the 384 local dimming zones).

You also have to shoot in 11k bayer to get an 8k RGB signal to make full use of the available resolution.
    8k for the masses in still in a Beta stage.

While mathematically relevant, I'm certainly shooting plenty of 8K for 8K content at the moment. Also shooting 12K and 16K to downsample to 8K, which you guys have seen a bit of.

To the point of the supported codecs on the internal player. Make sure you make a few test exports at various data rates, some of the hardware "barely" gets it done, some does better. We actually fed a signal to the Q900R last time my footage was on it, the new QLED stuff was also being fed from a box as well as the stuff on the LG 8K OLED.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Supported codecs:
    MPEG4
    HEVC
    VP9 Profile2

It has it's own media player so you can just put some files on a usb stick(drive). The mediaplayer runs under Samsungs Tizen operating system which doesn't support dts-sound and samsung is famous for not updating this. Also the viewing angles are kind of crap(because of the 384 local dimming zones).

You also have to shoot in 11k bayer to get an 8k RGB signal to make full use of the available resolution.
    8k for the masses in still in a Beta stage.
    Hi Misha, thanks for the info. I understand I might not get the 8K I would get with 11K, but I'm sure for the content we are doing, which is quite spectacular and shot already for the last 2 years, it will "Pop" compared to a 4K finish on a 4Ktv, since it was shot at 8K and the display will be able to show more pixels. I can definitely see this from the stills we are getting from the 8K footage.

@Phill Holland, what Box ( pc?) are you using to feed the screen? Any tips?

Cheers everyone this has been very helpful.
    Sérgio Perez