Thread: Quality of Raven Stills

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Quality of Raven Stills 
    I have a shoot tomorrow and usually supply my client with stills pulled from my footage in RCX. Overall I haven't been that thrilled with the quality of stills off my Raven since purchasing it and wanted to know if there was any way to improve the quality of image. Would strictly shooting in 3:1 compression while in Stills + Motion mode do the trick? The 10 MP sensor only allots for so much, but I am 100% open to any and all input. (This is what will ultimately have me moving to a higher model in the ecosystem, I still love my Raven for what it does, just trying to avoid whipping out the 5D MKIV after a setup/scene for such shots.)

Thanks ya'll.

- Joe

What are you shooting?
    10Mb are good enough for Internet and smaller prints but you main enemy is motion.
    At 180 degree you are at 1/48, 1/50 or 1/60. That's to slow to freeze motion. If light is not an issue try 45degree or less, keep the camera on a tripod, if there are actors or models make them move slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    At 180 degree you are at 1/48, 1/50 or 1/60. That's to slow to freeze motion.
    This is probably your concern. The pleasing motion blur in video translates to a soft image in stills. Increase your shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/200 for nice sharp still images.

Medical/lifestyle stuff. And yeah, I usually account for motion blur by going 1/60 shutter for anything at 24p. And agree about 10mp being fine for web, just trying to maximize the stills feature as best I can.

Whats the final use of the stills? Do they get printed?
    If you can, shoot stills faster than 1/60, do not handhold with anything other than wide angle lenses
    and slow down action/actors movements if you can

the stills from r3d are unsharpened, so ideally you want them interpolated and sharpened at final usage/print size

Update: Shoot went great, shot most of it 3:1 and the results stills wise have been substantially better than previously. So problem solved. The Dragon sensor is still an absolute beast.