Thread: “No media attached” error message driving me mad

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 “No media attached” error message driving me mad 
    So the RED representative posits that the “no media attached” error on my Scarlet-W may be a communication issue between the RED MINI-MAG and the camera brain, likely “caused by the SATA connector inside the Media Bay”. What do you make of this? I’ve never had a comparable malfunction occur on my DSLRs (still going strong) and this is reminding me of the suspected sensory failure crisis in computerized aircraft but less dramatic obviously. I cannot record anything now and so the problem is a critical failure. I have handled my Scarlet W with extreme care, followed best practices, and was nothing but impressed with the RED image quality and output. The camera is no longer under warranty but is still new and I hate being in this situation where I have to throw down $$$ for this question. Anyway to hack this problem? How do I access the log? RED wants the logs which I’ll search for tonight, but they caution that anything short of an in-person evaluation is speculating on the issue. So I want to provide the logs so this is pinned down.

Would someone please shed light on this and share perspective?

Thanks in advance.

The log is written to the minimag, and if you are not able to communicate with the media I’m not sure how you will be able to provide a log.

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Is this the CAN NOT MOUNT MEDIA problem?

I`ve had this problem for a couple years now. On various firmware all way up to the latest firmware... on a helium. Both my 960gb mags do it.

Just this weekend I had a particular bad case of "The mounts". 20 plus reboots. Had to wait, reboot, swap to other mag. Reboot with mag in. Reboot with mag out. Leave it in then reboot. Turn off and wait with it in. Turn off and wait with it out. This went on for half an hour. Then...suddenly..."The mounts" was cured. Half an hour is a bad case. Typically it mounts in less than 5 minutes

This mounting issue happens almost every day we shoot. It can happen just once...or 20 times. There is no rhyme or reason. I fill mags to the brim with footage now cause I don`t want to remount a new mag. I try to not power down as I don`t want to remount. Its pretty dumb.

My suspicion has been for a while it is a hardware fault with the mags. Hence the lack of software fix. I`d LOVE to be proved wrong. I always look like an ass holding up shooting as I pretend not to be concerned... no one buys it.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W

Thank you, Mestizo and Donald.

I don't know what the rep was talking about checking logs. You're right I cannot access them with this issue.

Yes, it is a mounting error that displays "Media not attached". I will attempt to troubleshoot as you have done, but it sounds like you become a nuisance because of tinkering to establish a connection in order to record.

I'm just at wits end - never had any issues with my Canon or Sony DSLRs. They run normally. I don't see how we're supposed to swallow this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald MJ Anderson View Post
    Is this the CAN NOT MOUNT MEDIA problem?

I`ve had this problem for a couple years now. On various firmware all way up to the latest firmware... on a helium. Both my 960gb mags do it.

Just this weekend I had a particular bad case of "The mounts". 20 plus reboots. Had to wait, reboot, swap to other mag. Reboot with mag in. Reboot with mag out. Leave it in then reboot. Turn off and wait with it in. Turn off and wait with it out. This went on for half an hour. Then...suddenly..."The mounts" was cured. Half an hour is a bad case. Typically it mounts in less than 5 minutes

This mounting issue happens almost every day we shoot. It can happen just once...or 20 times. There is no rhyme or reason. I fill mags to the brim with footage now cause I don`t want to remount a new mag. I try to not power down as I don`t want to remount. Its pretty dumb.

My suspicion has been for a while it is a hardware fault with the mags. Hence the lack of software fix. I`d LOVE to be proved wrong. I always look like an ass holding up shooting as I pretend not to be concerned... no one buys it.
    Donald quick question - how are you powering your camera?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv