Thread: Please help. I got scammed on the marketplace this weekend.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Please help. I got scammed on the marketplace this weekend. 
    Hi all, below is what I posted to the Red marketplace thread after being scammed on an Epic-W brain for $12,000.

What I need is information on whether anyone on here has had dealings with this guy. Either he is the one who scammed me, or someone has assumed his identity and opened a bank account in his name.

Antonio Hodge Dominguez
    https://www.antoniohodgedominguez.com

Again, from the looks of it, these guys were 100% legit and active in the industry. Jon has been cleared, this other guy won't respond to any email attempts or social media messages.

I've already filed with my bank and police but would like to provide more information if anyone else has some.
    Any information is appreciated.

"There is a posting in the Red Camera thread under a supposed Senior Member named Jon Ellison who is selling an Epic-W brain. This is a confirmed scam and I am now out $12,000.

I have spoken with the real Jon Ellison who confirmed the hack. Whoever this POS is, he knows Red cameras and he knows how to say the right things to put any paranoias or red flags at ease, right down to talking about the serial transfer process. There is another name associated with this, Antonio Hodge Dominguez, his supposed business partner.

Due to Jon's status as a Senior Member with a seemingly good track record selling things, I didn't think anything sketch was happening. Cut to me paying $12K in full yesterday and not receiving a tracking number or communication of any kind.

My bank has been notified as have police.

Reduser needs a serious overhaul of it's marketplace if it is that easy for someone to hack an account and masquerade as a Senior Member on a post for over a month without being caught.

I feel like a moron, and lesson learned, but seriously, do not do business with this guy unless you speak to the real Jonathan Ellison based out of Chicago."

You just paid yesterday, or thats an old post? Keep us updated. Hope it ends well.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Paid on 3/7 and 3/8, yeah. And thanks.

Sometimes these reduser accounts get hijacked, and imposters sell under their reputation and profiles. It’s sad.

To be honest, with the value of the equipment that gets sold on these forums, they should really implement a 2 factor authentication service to add the proper security, to avoid that from happening.

Wish you the best man.
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post
    Sometimes these reduser accounts get hijacked, and imposters sell under their reputation and profiles. It’s sad.

To be honest, with the value of the equipment that gets sold on these forums, they should really implement a 2 factor authentication service to add the proper security, to avoid that from happening.

Wish you the best man.

Thanks man. Hopefully it gets resolved. I reached out to Jarred and told him exactly the same thing. Would love more beefed up security for sales.

That is rough. For any kind of expense this high, I wouldn't do it unless I flew out myself and did the transaction in person. And I'd use a escrow service or (at the least) a cashier's check. Was this done as a wire transaction? I have done those before, but only when I had the actual device in my hand (and we did it a year ago for $30,000' worth of post gear).
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Stupidly, yes. I did a direct wire. He talked a good talk and seemed just as knowledgable about the camera as most of us on here are. The specs, the process of purchasing a used one ala having to transfer serial numbers, etc...

The senior member status was something I thought was at least reassuring, guess not. I've been a member here since 2015 when I bought my Raven and have been frequenting this site since 2009. I've seen scams that were obvious. Whoever he is, he assumed Jon's identity and has also done so with other senior members accounts on Reduser. So seriously use discretion when dealing with people here. This site needs an overhaul on who can sell or advertise selling gear. Additional verification or something.

This was a pretty big hit for me, I get that it's on me to keep my whits about this stuff, but I had correspondence with this chump all week. He acted friendly, patient, and willing to work out a deal.

SIDE NOTE: I have seen him patrolling Reduser looking specifically for a MONSTRO, so if someone contacts you, particularly if they use or are affiliated with the name Antonio Hodge Dominguez, report him immediately.

Update:

Here is the website "Antonio" has snaked work from. I've done digging and I don't even think this guy is US based. The media group attached to his Linkedin is based in INDIA.

Most of the work on his site comes from this guy, Joe Douglas.

http://joedouglasdop.com

Update: Total loss. Bank unwilling to provide any kind of financial reinstatement of the lost funds. I feel like a complete moron. Don't think I'll be buying anything off Reduser again. Not worth the risk. Again, if you initiate a purchase and that individual tells you about their "partner" Antonio Hodge Dominguez, it is a scam. Do not fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Karably View Post
    Update: Total loss. Bank unwilling to provide any kind of financial reinstatement of the lost funds. I feel like a complete moron. Don't think I'll be buying anything off Reduser again. Not worth the risk. Again, if you initiate a purchase and that individual tells you about their "partner" Antonio Hodge Dominguez, it is a scam. Do not fall for it.
    I've never exactly had anything this disastrous, but I've had some tough experiences on eBay in the past 20 years. You really need a 3rd-party company like PayPal or eBay or Escrow.com or something like that to act as an intermediary. Sadly, it's not a Reduser problem or just one with this particular name... this is a vast problem all over the net and on any site that allows person-to-person trading & sales.

There are also situations which are not exactly fraudulant but misleading, like when you buy something that's supposed to be "like new," and after you receive it you find out it fell in salt water, or it's had a lot of repairs, or it's got a major dent in it that affects performance. All you can do is shop wisely and carefully and try to provide for some backup in the event of a dispute.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer