Thread: Vertical video. Like it or leave it?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    35
    You just blew my mind! I'm team diagonal now!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    For a start, I liked the video. I just would not have shot it vertically. With very rare exceptions, I never take vertical aspect photographs.

    'Tallscreen', as some call it, is not a fresh new paradigm, but instead a result of laziness combined with the logical side-effect of the proliferation of hand-held media devices. I was on Vine when it was active (it's being succeeded by Byte, coming soon) and I loved shooting with a square format, because with the square, you don't have to rotate the device. Sort of like shooting with a Hasselblad.

    Also, nobody is going to rotate their TV just to watch this stuff.
    Definitely would not want this for TV and definitely not calling it Tallscreen. There's gotta be a better name.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaeden Gallegos View Post
    Looks beautiful Dominic!
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Most that happens happens along the horizon. So there is a reason why we have our two eyes next to each other on the horizontal plane and that we can see the Trex coming in form pretty much any angle then behind. Birds and little animals on the ground we don't need to pay much attention to so thats why our eyes are not placed on top of each other.... :)

    But yes shooting vertical and using the full sensor for it is great if the screen that it will show on is mounted vertical. For all other purposes I think it has more drawbacks than positives.

    So yes, I rater shoot ultra wide then tall.

    Here monstro and 100mm ana in 3:2 mode 8k gives something equivalent to a 12.4k wide dragon density sensor. To me It would be difficult to see how twisting the camera 90 degrees would improve things :)

    https://vimeo.com/319858844
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic López View Post
    You just blew my mind! I'm team diagonal now!
    There was a fourth choice hidden in the original comic:

    CIRCULAR VIDEO - PROS: Solves aspect ratio problem. CONS: Never trust anyone who talks to you from inside a circle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member Patrick Tresch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Switzerland, Lausanne
    Posts
    5,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd T View Post
    just putting this out there.....

    https://xkcd.com/2119/
    +1 I love the idea we should talk to SMPTE.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd T View Post
    There was a fourth choice hidden in the original comic:

    CIRCULAR VIDEO - PROS: Solves aspect ratio problem. CONS: Never trust anyone who talks to you from inside a circle
    You absolutely need to make a circular film. I won't trust whatever you make, but I need the see it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Most that happens happens along the horizon. So there is a reason why we have our two eyes next to each other on the horizontal plane and that we can see the Trex coming in form pretty much any angle then behind. Birds and little animals on the ground we don't need to pay much attention to so thats why our eyes are not placed on top of each other.... :)

    But yes shooting vertical and using the full sensor for it is great if the screen that it will show on is mounted vertical. For all other purposes I think it has more drawbacks than positives.

    So yes, I rater shoot ultra wide then tall.

    Here monstro and 100mm ana in 3:2 mode 8k gives something equivalent to a 12.4k wide dragon density sensor. To me It would be difficult to see how twisting the camera 90 degrees would improve things :)

    https://vimeo.com/319858844
    This looks great! A little hard to see on my vertically locked phone. ;) When check lenses, btw? Kowas?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic López View Post
    This looks great! A little hard to see on my vertically locked phone. ;) When check lenses, btw? Kowas?
    Nevermind. Just read the Vimeo title. Damn vertical display.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    1,875
    Instagram stories are all vertical, for obvious reasons. But that is a very specific application. I'd keep the camera horizontal and just frame for the middle section if i were shooting for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd T View Post
    CIRCULAR VIDEO - PROS: Solves aspect ratio problem.
    What about ellipses?
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts