Thread: Vertical video. Like it or leave it?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Vertical video. Like it or leave it? 
    Hey everyone,

I'm a DP and aspiring director out in LA. Recently, bored from a lull in work, I decided to shoot some test footage. On a whim, I shot vertically and I have to say, I LOVED IT! Especially now with IGTV, I really feel like this could be a cool avenue for some artistic exploration. That being said, I caught some guff over vertical. So, what do you guys think?

https://vimeo.com/319562193

Shot on Epic-W, 6K.
    Sigmar Art 18-35mm

I'm not suggesting it'll be the future but an audio guy I work with (who is quite a bit younger than me) has his phone locked for vertical and he's not alone.

I figure I'll have fun with it for now but I think it could lead to some really cool work and help people like us think outside the box. I'm planning on trying to do short form, 10 min vertical films just to see what it's like.

It has its place. It's just a small place. If you frame for it then there's nothing inherently wrong with it as an artistic choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kiritz View Post
    It has its place. It's just a small place..
    Small place?

We are doing a ton of internet work now in 9:16 specs

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Gemini and Monstro would be perfect for vertical and horizontal shooting at the same time.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I think that 4/3 was perfect for 1 (TV presentator) or 2 person (medium shot) shooting, 2.35 a bunch of cowboys on the horizon or some Roman chariot chase in a stadium, I think that the vertical "Selfie mode" is going to be the future for our growing individualist or selfish society.

I hate it, but we live in an Instagram world. For Instagram, I'll actually only use 1080 x 1080. We live in a selfie world where this works. I saw a funny pros and cons of vertical vs horizontal shooting. Under "pros" for horizontal, it said "old people like it." Ouch.

Looks beautiful Dominic!
    You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

God, no.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

just putting this out there.....

https://xkcd.com/2119/
    - Scarlet 996 -

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    For a start, I liked the video. I just would not have shot it vertically. With very rare exceptions, I never take vertical aspect photographs.

'Tallscreen', as some call it, is not a fresh new paradigm, but instead a result of laziness combined with the logical side-effect of the proliferation of hand-held media devices. I was on Vine when it was active (it's being succeeded by Byte, coming soon) and I loved shooting with a square format, because with the square, you don't have to rotate the device. Sort of like shooting with a Hasselblad.

Also, nobody is going to rotate their TV just to watch this stuff.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)