Thread: Best Cinematography for “Roma”. Why?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Best Cinematography for “Roma”. Why? 
    I can understand best director, its an auteur film through and through, titanic job to put everything together, a unique artistic vision. But cinematography?

I’ve seen much better examples for Black and White photography, including from some of the masters Cuaron tried to emulate. And where did 65mm photography added to this film? I could see this shot with s35 without any issues. In fact, the big format actually pulled me away from the italian neo realism esque storyline.

Is it just me?
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

The difference between 65mm somewhat closed down and 35mm a bit more open is zero if you compensate with iso. The only difference that you then achieve is difference. And I guess some of the hype of the photography of this film is simply that. Better resolution, less noise and the possibility to lift up the lowlights / making it possible to shoot with light setup that was not possible before. But I think it´s more about the style. BW is new again, not many used but for a while and that with the somewhat static camera and the acting makes people think of it as a very artistically shot film. I think it´s nice but no, way far from getting my Oscar for best photography.

I actually think Linus Sandgren should have been the winner again for First man. If you look at that film on a good 4k laser projector it´s insane how well shot it is. Everything from the filmstock, lenses and the cramped up feeling within all the different space shuttles and just the correct look for the time era is all together a really balanced work of art if you ask me. Roma looks like a student film in comparison.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

This is a tough one..but my favorite was Favourite

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    The difference between 65mm somewhat closed down and 35mm a bit more open is zero if you compensate with iso. The only difference that you then achieve is difference. And I guess some of the hype of the photography of this film is simply that. Better resolution, less noise and the possibility to lift up the lowlights / making it possible to shoot with light setup that was not possible before. But I think it´s more about the style. BW is new again, not many used but for a while and that with the somewhat static camera and the acting makes people think of it as a very artistically shot film. I think it´s nice but no, way far from getting my Oscar for best photography.

I actually think Linus Sandgren should have been the winner again for First man. If you look at that film on a good 4k laser projector it´s insane how well shot it is. Everything from the filmstock, lenses and the cramped up feeling within all the different space shuttles and just the correct look for the time era is all together a really balanced work of art if you ask me. Roma looks like a student film in comparison.
    I absolutely agree with the First Man statement. Really did their job well.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

I thought Roma was beautiful.

And yes he stopped down a lot on the 65mm to give himself a deep FOV (that at times looked like s16!), but what he gained by shooting Alexa 65 is amazing DR and latitude that they took advantage of later in the color correct.

The look of Roma is not meant to wow you or be gorgeous the way say Cold War is. It's mean to create an entire world where things are happening in all planes - foreground, midground, background.

I thought it served the story perfectly, and I was deeply impressed.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

The difference between 65mm somewhat closed down and 35mm a bit more open is zero if you compensate with iso.
    Still not correct. Objectively you can match, but again, when working with the various format sizes various things become clear.
    - Working distance per focal length
    - Focal Length in relationship to Maximum Aperture
    - General Draw of focal lengths in relationship to FOV

It's okay. I also am from the world of VFX as well where we have to match various formats, but in terms of practical working with formats and right down to feel most DPs get it pretty quickly once they are behind the camera.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    I thought Roma was beautiful.

And yes he stopped down a lot on the 65mm to give himself a deep FOV (that at times looked like s16!), but what he gained by shooting Alexa 65 is amazing DR and latitude that they took advantage of later in the color correct.

The look of Roma is not meant to wow you or be gorgeous the way say Cold War is. It's mean to create an entire world where things are happening in all planes - foreground, midground, background.

I thought it served the story perfectly, and I was deeply impressed.
    Not a bad film in any way. And yes very well shot for what it was but to me Oscar nominations for best cinematographer should come with a few impossibles. Roma is really nicely shot but I did not get enough "how the fuck did they do it" kind of moments when watching it. I actually had none of those. All pretty straight forward setups. Suredone with confidence in the DR of the camera and the fact that, well it's all black and white and graded in post... You can even colorcode different objects in the scene and in post give them different luminance etc. That as I see it is a parkwalk compared to what Sandgren and lots of other DPs done this year. Roma was as I see it a well casted, directed and acted movie. I don't think the footage brought it down. But after seeing it my first thought was not about the story or what the movie was about. The only thing I could think was how it would look in color. So in that sense the BW approach was distracting to me.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Disclaimer: I LOVE great greyscale imaging. Moreover, it could be easily argued that choosing to make Roma in B&W added depth and context to the story. That said, I have to agree that it would not have been my choice for Best Cinematography. I sincerely hope lots of voters didn't just go for B&W = art. It's one thing to recognize the risk of making any movie B&W in 2018, but, like Björn, it did not strike me as a special achievement.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post

Where large format makes a difference.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    Roma is really nicely shot but I did not get enough "how the fuck did they do it" kind of moments when watching it. I actually had none of those. All pretty straight forward setups.
    Go back and watch the last beach scene again. It's thoroughly HTFDTDT, but in a way that's so subtle that you don't really notice on first watch. It's actually several shots stitched together. When you consider he was doing the cinematography on top of every other job, it's obviously incredibly impressive. My only problem with it is... so what? It was just too specifically personal, and lacked the universal elements of humanity that makes a story interesting. What is the point of all that talent and skill if you can't get me to care?