Thread: Best Cinematography for “Roma”. Why?

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    One thing's for sure: Netflix is becoming a powerhouse in terms of feature films…
    It wasn't all that long ago that I remembered hearing about Netflix's 'House of Cards' project. Until then I had them pegged down as a VHS movies streaming service run out of someone's basement. And they have the crappy logo to prove it.

Now, we live in a world where as Scorsese's The Irishman budget blows up and major studios feel they need to drop it, Netflix goes: "hold my beer…"

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    It wasn't all that long ago that I remembered hearing about Netflix's 'House of Cards' project. Until then I had them pegged down as a VHS movies streaming service run out of someone's basement. And they have the crappy logo to prove it.

Now, we live in a world where as Scorsese's The Irishman budget blows up and major studios feel they need to drop it, Netflix goes: "hold my beer…"
    Hold my beer while Netflix got something like 12 billion USD in debt...

For us in the industry its a double edged sword. Great if you get ot work on a Netflix production. Difficult if you need to compete with their money spree.

Some Blockbusters make 5 times their budget first weekend. Netflix had made 12 billion USD in loss over a few years... or possibly it can be called an investment but I think soon the share holders will think twice about it. Subscribers will simply leave if they do not churn out new content at an eve accelerating speed which does not seam to be sustainable if you ask me.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    See the film Simic. If you know your European film history, and seeing that you are from Europe, I would really like to have your take on this after seeing the film. It just felt, to me, pretentious filmmaking, and the cinematography nice, but dare I say it, “cynical” by the way it takes from the old masters and is then used. Its as if Cuaron was trying hard to thick every arthouse aesthetic queue from the past, while forgetting to coherently connect it together with his story, making it his own. Felt like every single element of this film was overthought yet somehow stiched together.
    I understand what you mean, Sergio.

Two angles and contexts, drastically different.

- Integration is an important aspect of development. In matters of aesthetics nuances and their contextual interpretation differ between the moment of crafting and post-festum in critical judgement of the viewer. The latter has more luxury.

- The ideology of the show, displayed by prioritizing an hour of clowns and idols to honouring film makers themselves, and predictably including and awarding a project romanticising Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld suggests more deciding factors in the equation. Even if one disregards studios, networks and revenue.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Hold my beer while Netflix got something like 12 billion USD in debt...

For us in the industry its a double edged sword. Great if you get ot work on a Netflix production. Difficult if you need to compete with their money spree.

Some Blockbusters make 5 times their budget first weekend. Netflix had made 12 billion USD in loss over a few years... or possibly it can be called an investment but I think soon the share holders will think twice about it. Subscribers will simply leave if they do not churn out new content at an eve accelerating speed which does not seam to be sustainable if you ask me.
    The industry inhertis the socially dominant mindset hooked on megalomania and overproduction. Running wild on distorted perception of value (quantity over quality) cultivating a fantasia of constant growth, therefore detached from reason, therefore self-destructive, unsustainable and destined to failure.
    Bubble grows until it bursts.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    'Im glad that Cuaron at least mentioned Technicolor in his acceptance speech, but he should have specifically thanked longtime color collaborator Steven J. Scott, who is responsible for a lot of the look of this picture (and Cuaron's previous award winners). Note that Mr. Scott is now working at CO3, reportedly on a Marvel project.

Others have noted that colorists receive few (if any) industry awards, but it's sad when filmmakers neglect to at least acknowledge them when they make a contribution this significant. And Steven does extraordinary work.
    The supervising colorist has a big say and sometimes sway with the DoP. I know how hard the Technicolor team worked on this project. Arri65 dailies, debayer methods, show LUTS, working format maths.....a lot of hard work goes into the picture even before it gets to the grade. Great job Tech LA!