Thread: 2019 RTX Laptops - Worth it?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 2019 RTX Laptops - Worth it? 
    I've been reading a lot of reviews on the RTX-based laptops that the new GPUs are being throttled and that, at least for gaming, i7 GTX laptops are a much better value and in some cases perform better than i9 RTX laptops. Since I'm in the market for a laptop, I'm looking for feedback from redusers on what they would buy at the moment. I'm currently editing 8K Epic-W footage on a 4 or 5 year old MSI laptop and with every Premiere update, it gets worse. Looking for some advice on laptops. I'm seriously considering Gigabyte's Aero 15x laptop with RTX but after reading that these new RTX laptops are being heavily throttled, maybe I should get a GTX1080 laptop?
    Ryan Sauvé | @sauvedp
    Epic-W #7950
    Nikon Z6

Hey Ryan, I'm thinking of getting an RTX "thin and light" laptop, and I'm doing a lot of research trying to figure out which one will be best for me. Two suggestions:

1. If you haven't already discovered it, I highly recommend the Community section of Notebookreview.com. Lot's of good info mixed in with the useless stuff. Scroll down to the Manufacturers section, select the brand you are thinking about and find the applicable Owner's Lounge.

2. I found this graphic comparing the performance of various graphics cards in notebooks. Note that the CPUs vary a bit so it's not strictly apples-to-apples, but it's close enough to get a sense of the relative performance of each card.

In general, all thin and light gaming laptops suffer from heat dissipation issues. But, there are ways to partially mitigate these issues. I typically buy my laptops from HIDEvolution, who can do some thermal modding to help with heat. Although they can't work miracles. (I can attest to HID's service and warranty, which is relatively painless.)

Personally, I'm looking at the Razer Blade 15 Advanced 4K RTX, which is pricier than it should be, and the MSI GS65 RTX, both with the 2070 Max-Q. I put a lot of emphasis on thin and portable, so these fit with what I want. I do expect both laptops to have loud fans and heat dissipation issues. I'm not pulling the trigger on either until I've read more reviews.

One last note: coming from a 5 year old machine, you will notice an immense difference no matter what you go with. I did the same a couple years ago and wow, what a difference.

Good luck with your search.

REDuser Sponsor
    I don't recommend any of the MSI laptops, I've just had horrible experiences and the screens aren't very good.

I'm not sure how the mobile RTX chips are comparing, but if it's like the desktop variants they don't offer much in performance increases.... only those stupid features that nothing supports yet unless you really really like to play Battlefield V.

Have you looked at the new Alienware M15 thin laptops? If you can wait until March you can get them with 15" 4K OLED screens. For now they do have a nice 4k IPS option and Dell always has great screens in my experience.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

I'm skeptical. I have heard that those RTX cards run SUPER hot so I could see a lot of thermal throttling going on. Plus with a full size card like that battery life is never good.

I have the 2018 Dell XPS 15 (8750, 16gb, GTX 1050Ti). The 4k display on this thing is incredible (I've yet to see anything close to it). And thats the thing, most of those gaming laptops have horrible displays (maybe a sacrifice to put more power to hardware). The XPS Currently gets the job done fine on Scarlet W 5k at 1/4 res.

This laptop is also my daily driver for work, editing stills, emails, surfing the web, etc. so I'll take the battery life (lasts all day, i have the 97wh) over an RTX card.

I am however very interested to see what Dell puts in the 2019 XPS 15.
    Sterling Williams

@sterling.a.williams

RED Scarlet-W
    www.sterlingandrewwilliams.com

Has anyone with a beast laptop been using a laptop cooler to control thermals? How effective is it?
    In my perfect world I'd get a bomber laptop and a outboard cooler to set it on when I need to crunch. With the newer bus standards - TB2/3 and USB-SS3.1 or better over USB Type-C - bandwidth appropriate for what we do no longer requires a dedicated RAID card in a chassis. Additionally, we are starting to see legit, calibratable screens on laptops that can show 97%+ of P3 gamut. Sure, that's hardly color suite worthy - but for doing primary grades or auditioning LUTs in the field...

Cheers - #19

The RTX laptops are sweet. The problem is that they are too expensive.

Check out this youtube video review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mykA0jrZWF0

Its all gaming but that is what these laptops are all for. He thinks going GTX is still the best for value/performance.

If you need one now and got money then for sure the RTX are nice. If you can wait, might make sense to wait for the prices to come down a bit.

As for laptop coolers, living in a hot environment, they make a massive difference. I dont have benchmarks or anything but it keeps our big MSI laptop from a few years ago nice and cool. - i7 6600k, 32gb of RAM and a GTX 980.

I have a few mega high end laptops, have a dual 980m and also a dual 1080 laptop - the dual 1080 laptop just seems processor imbalanced. These laptops also weight a ton and are super noisy when doing big jobs - I mean need to wear hearing protection loud. My rtx card is water cooled in a desktop, and it needs a ton of cores and ram to feed it which are also water cooled. I have given up shoving these high end multi core CPU's and thousands GPU cores in a laptop. My laptop I do most of my traveling work is wimpy but is hooked to the cloud, where I can have how ever many gpu's and cores I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gerhard View Post
    I don't recommend any of the MSI laptops, I've just had horrible experiences and the screens aren't very good.

I'm not sure how the mobile RTX chips are comparing, but if it's like the desktop variants they don't offer much in performance increases.... only those stupid features that nothing supports yet unless you really really like to play Battlefield V.

Have you looked at the new Alienware M15 thin laptops? If you can wait until March you can get them with 15" 4K OLED screens. For now they do have a nice 4k IPS option and Dell always has great screens in my experience.

I got the big MSI Titan GT75. I have the UHD screen and it has great specs. Both bright, good contrast and color range. Yes, it is 4.5kg, but it can has no problems with temp under heavy load. "only" a full 1080 GTX card, but the newer versions seem to ship with 2080 (allthough mobile versions). so I would recommend at least this MSI. Fan levels are not high on this machine either.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

9. #9 turing gpu 
    hey guys,

im a happy mac user feeling like i need to adapt to a PC given i shoot red and my rocket x is no longer the best tool these days. i like being mobile and have used a macbook pro for almost 5 years now. clients are gettin weird on me though cuz its so dated now. im not anxious to get new apple hardware without a Turing GPU given the red partnership. im going to test the latest apple macbook pro on my red stuff but unless its really good performance im considering going to a turing based laptop PC. i bouhgt the new laptop but apple has a good return policy unlike these PC makers who have restock fees.

any recommendations on the various PC models out? i see exoticPC makes the MSI with up to 128gb of ram or 64gb of faster ram. i see alienware area 51m has the best benchmarks in a comparison article. i also wonder if i am being silly and should get a desktop but i do lots of media management or assistant editing where a laptop is nice simply for mobility. a desktop is a tough on me cuz i work mobile like constantly. also i worry if i can get five years out of the PCs the way i have this mac. macs might be under built in hardware but they keep on kicking unlike my many PCs historically growing up. my grandfather constantly got new AMD ones and cheap tiger direct ones and all kinds of bs over the years. maybe they all sucked cuz they weren't expensive builds though?

PS where can i buy one of these PCs where i can return it without a restocking fee if the performance isn't as good as i want? i consnatnly do this to apple, i retuned a imac pro just last week and likely this laptop will go back too unless it cuts well for multicam on sonys AND my red stuff single camera
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Well... I think I found my next laptop. Will contemplate the pre-order over the next day or two...

GIGABYTE AERO 15 CLASSIC-YA-U96ASP
    Display: 15.6" 0.11 Inch Thin Bezel AUO UHD Adobe RGB 100% 3840x2160 IPS anti-glare display LCD
    CPU: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK (2.4GHz-5.0GHz)
    RAM: Samsung® 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, 2 Slots (Max 64GB)
    Video: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 GDDR6 8GB
    Storage: M.2 NVME PCIe 2TB*1 Intel® 760p SSD (2x M.2 SSD Slots, Type 2280, Supports 1x NVMe PCIe & SATA / 1x NVMe PCIe)
    IO: USB 3.1 Gen1 (Type-A)*2
    USB 3.1 Gen2 (Type-A)*1
    Thunderbolt3(Type-C) *1
    mini-DP 1.4 & USB3.1(Type-C)
    HDMI2.0 x HDCP2.2
    SD Card Reader(UHS-II)
    Weight: 4.4 lbs
    Price: $4,449

https://store.gigabyte.us/gigabyte-a...gaming-laptop/

I hope it doesn't explode.
    Last edited by Ryan Sauve; 04-23-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    Ryan Sauvé | @sauvedp
    Epic-W #7950
    Nikon Z6