Thread: The plague of "purgeable space"

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 The plague of "purgeable space" 
    I am really struggling with this concept of purgeable space on macOS Mojave. I get that it's likely made up of local Time Machine snapshots, and that the system should theoretically clean it up when the space is needed. However, I'm finding that apps like Dropbox, Backblaze, and Hedge are all warning me about dwindling free space. They don't seem to know that the purgeable space is actually available to be used.

I have tried everything I can find: DaisyDisk, CleanMyMac, terminal commands, removing snapshots, creating huge bogus files and then deleting them, running Disk Utility in recovery mode. Nothing works, nothing clears up this space. Deleting large files just creates more purgeable space, and free space remains unaffected.

Perhaps my setup is a little unorthodox: I use Hedge to transfer clips to the internal drive on my MacBook Pro, then I have Carbon Copy Cloner copy changes to external drives. I need the space to be available on my internal drive for the initial transfer.

If anyone has had better luck purging this purgeable space, I would welcome suggestions. Thank you!

I just get a spitload of drives and I don't worry about purgeable space.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I literally cannot use my internal drive to offload footage. It's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    I literally cannot use my internal drive to offload footage. It's absurd.
    Well, I'd solve that by using an external drive. External SSDs are reasonable affordable these days.

For anyone who's dealing with this, I found that using Carbon Copy Cloner works. You can select your internal drive and see a list of the snapshots, and delete them as needed. This has been the most reliable way for me to clear up space.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    For anyone who's dealing with this, I found that using Carbon Copy Cloner works. You can select your internal drive and see a list of the snapshots, and delete them as needed. This has been the most reliable way for me to clear up space.
    That is a very handy tip. I used Carbon Copy Cloner for years in the 1990s, then bailed on them and went with SuperDuper when they were slow to update to OSX. I've been thinking of going back to CCC, and maybe features like this will be enough to inspire me.

My guess would be that CCC is just running the equivalent Terminal command in the background, so you might want to start there and see if you have any success. For whatever reason, CCC has been the only method that works immediately every time.