Thread: On-going MX OLPF tests

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It’d be rad if you could post some .r3d frames too!

It's gotten too cold for talent to be outside for this long so I did a quick INT test with a 3200k Lowel interview light. Still really like where the skin-tone olpf puts the raw image (reduced red channel as expected and hoped for). Balanced to the color-checker, can't tell MUCH difference online, but I do like the reduced red in the skin tones. Seeing as it's secure and doesn't cause problems, I'd probably keep the skin-tone olpf in the camera for good after this test :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26Fx_-14y8

Will do an outdoor test when it gets a little warmer again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Will do at the end! Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Previously the OLPF actually contained an Optical Low Pass Filter, but in DSMC2 bodies that has been moved to the Cover Glass in front of the sensor. Which is why you have more aliasing on MX as there is now AA filter.
    Since DSMC2 we don't IR ND filters anymore. You can use regular NDs or any IRND that cuts beyond 720nm. Would you say the sensor cover glass also has IR cut properties build in or is the IR cut factor part of the different color filters/OLPF?
    Director of Photograhy
    schmige.net | instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian Schmige View Post
    Since DSMC2 we don't IR ND filters anymore. You can use regular NDs or any IRND that cuts beyond 720nm. Would you say the sensor cover glass also has IR cut properties build in or is the IR cut factor part of the different color filters/OLPF?
    I personally don't know how to answer this technical question so hopefully someone else can! :)

OLPF R3Ds as requested

C001 - Skin-tone
    C002 - Low-light
    C003 - Factory

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kni9oshmq...kk0RQmNNa?dl=0
    Last edited by Tyler Besh; 03-03-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Besh View Post
    I personally don't know how to answer this technical question so hopefully someone else can! :)
    Figured it out myself. I was looking at the Kippertie website and it was mentioned there. The IR cut is part of the "OLPF" color filter. Makes sense. How else would you be able to have an IR Spectrum "OLPF" that allows for IR light to pass through to the sensor.
    Director of Photograhy
    schmige.net | instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian Schmige View Post
    Figured it out myself. I was looking at the Kippertie website and it was mentioned there. The IR cut is part of the "OLPF" color filter. Makes sense. How else would you be able to have an IR Spectrum "OLPF" that allows for IR light to pass through to the sensor.
    Yeah that makes sense. Did you see the footage in my video of the sensor only clips? It's wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Besh View Post
    OLPF R3Ds as requested

C001 - Skin-tone
    C002 - Low-light
    C003 - Factory

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kni9oshmq...kk0RQmNNa?dl=0
    Bammmm, thanks! Gonna look these over.

Update: upon inspection, Factory MX (it is factory MX, right?) and low-light are borderline identical. Skintone, ironically, just seems cooler and more contrasty (like it's ~4900k/-25, while the others balance to ~3k/3)... Do you have the same non-OLPF .r3d?
    Last edited by Mike P.; 03-04-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Bammmm, thanks! Gonna look these over.

Update: upon inspection, Factory MX (it is factory MX, right?) and low-light are borderline identical. Skintone, ironically, just seems cooler and more contrasty (like it's ~4900k/-25, while the others balance to ~3k/3)... Do you have the same non-OLPF .r3d?
    I really like the skin-tone in this. I think I'm going to run with it and see how it is in regular scenarios. Agreed on the low light and factory MX color filter, can't see much of a difference myself.

Never did a sensor only for this test because at 3200k it's completely unusable (as shown in bar footage from the first test)

I'm excited to get back out with the model and get some stuff with the skin-tone