Thread: Atomos and RED announce a royalty based license agreement

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Atomos and RED announce a royalty based license agreement 
    I was really curious about this actually. I'm curious is BlackMagic Raw stepping on REDs toes as well?

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/01/...ense-agreement
    Last edited by Bob Gundu; 01-23-2019 at 07:43 PM.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I was really curious about this actually. I'm curious is BlackMagic Raw is stepping on REDs toes as well?

How about Camera control?
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

I was really curious about this actually. I'm curious is BlackMagic Raw is stepping on REDs toes as well?

BlackMagic Raw is partialy de-bayered in camera and they released the SDK with it, so I think they are quite confident that they don't break one of the RED patents.

Never heard something about RED.R3D vs. Kinefinity KineRAW(CineformRAW).
    CineForm RAW was added in 2005, the first to offer substantial compression directly from CFA Bayer image sensor data.

Did hear some about X-OCN vs. R3D (was settled at the end).

There's actually a lot of specific applications that are imaginable here. For now, it is a mystery.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

The thick plottens.

Certainly BRAW and Prores raw are (going to be) chipping away at what RED have enjoyed essentially exclusively for ~10years. I would think this potentially has more has to do with offering redcode in ATOMOS recorders... (or maybe ATOMOS RAW)... Raw is the "blockchain technology" of cameras; everyone wants a piece.

(So does that mean Apple is paying RED, since Prores raw is also compressed? It's like Paris trying to trademark "that's hot.")

Very interesting. Can't picture what benefits this bring except financial for Red with the licensing, Direct redcode recording from an Atomos device of an uncompressed DSMC3 stream? Wireless 4K streaming technologies?
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

It's an interesting development. I have a feeling that Atomos approached and RED accepted but
    that's purely speculation.

Over the last few years, RED has done a very good job developing relationships and leveraging
    RED tech with strategic partnerships (Panavision, NASA, Facebook to name a few).

These developments have a way of keeping the brand healthy that is just as important as a new sensor
    or camera body.

Will be interesting to see what develops.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

I was really curious about this actually. I'm curious is BlackMagic Raw stepping on REDs toes as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    The thick plottens.

Certainly BRAW and Prores raw are (going to be) chipping away at what RED have enjoyed essentially exclusively for ~10years. I would think this potentially has more has to do with offering redcode in ATOMOS recorders... (or maybe ATOMOS RAW)... Raw is the "blockchain technology" of cameras; everyone wants a piece.

(So does that mean Apple is paying RED, since Prores raw is also compressed? It's like Paris trying to trademark "that's hot.")

I know nothing of how red utilize their patents of compressed raw and above 4k resolution for digital film cameras. So this is just me speculating.

As i see it it would be very odd if they don't utilize those patents. So most likely they are.

Prores compressed raw, BM, Sony etc it would not be too far fetched to think that they actually all have made agreements with red.

Its quite common that even competing companies makes such agreements without letting it be publicly known. This Atmos thing is different in that regard, its seams to be more of a collaboration start and possibly trade of patents between the two.

Its easy to see that the Alexa LF and XL would benefit heavily of having compressed raw, but so far Arri still don't have it... From a business standpoint, as i see it it, it makes sense for red to profit from licensing their stuff it to BM, Sony, apple and the others and also it makes very much sense for them to keep Arri out in the cold.

Now, I have no clue if these theories are even close to the truth. But for sure other patents in other industries have been used in such manner.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Compressing was hugh during high flash prices, today flash is fast, cheap and getting cheaper by the day.

€ pricing incl 21% VAT

Samsung PM983 1.92 TB: 2 GB/s seq. write ~ € 500 16+ min at max frame rate, max resolution
    ($600 ex vat on amazon us, they are expensive)
    Samsung PM983 3.84 TB: 2 GB/s seq. write ~ € 950 32+ min at max frame rate, max resolution
    Samsung PM983 7.68 TB: 2 GB/s seq. write ~ €1,800 64+ min at max frame rate, max resolution

For the LF Open Gate ARRIRAW 4.5K: 4448 x 3096 this would mean ~ 96 fps at 12 bits RAW (logged from 16 bits), 90 fps with the current codex system.
    For the Alexa 65 Open Gate ARRIRAW 6.5k 6560 x 3100 this would mean ~ 65 fps at 12 bits RAW (logged from 16 bits) 60 fps with the current codex system.

When I do the math... knowing that flash prices are going down.

Björn Benckert is the smartest kid in this room today.
    Mark L. Pederson