Thread: QNAP TS-2483XU-RP

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 QNAP TS-2483XU-RP 
    Hey guys,

we are still in the process of replacing our old, 24bay "fibre channel attached" raid systems from axus.
    If it makes sense from a performance and price standpoint we would like to go for a shared storage system instead of a block level access based one like we currently have.
    Of course shared storage servers that are specifically aimed at post production environments are usually pretty expensive (talking about lumaforge, gb labs and so forth)

When i opened this thread around the end of last year
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ystems-in-2018

I found out that a NAS system might be a good alternative to consider and many of you guys had good things to say about the QNAP TS-1685 in particular.
    Although i haven`t been able to test the TS-1685 myself, it seems to be a pretty good performing NAS at a very affordable price point.
    The thing is, it lacks a few things that i personally find crucial for a business production server (e.g redundant power supplies)
    For us its also important to have SFP+ instead of a 10Gbase-T connection cause we already have fibre cables routed between our server room and our editing room.
    Aside from that, we also would like to have more than 12 drive bays available to us cause our storage needs exceeds that what the TS-1685 can offer at its maximum.

I did a little bit of reasearch myself and stumbled across the QNAP TS-2483XU-RP which seems to be a rather new product of them.
    The QNAP TS-2483XU-RP has 24 drive bays comes with a 6 Core Coffee Lake Xeon CPU, ECC RAM by default and 2x 10Gbit SFP+ ports at a price of ~4300.
    Judging by the specs alone , it seems to be a pretty capable NAS server and i would like to hear your thoughts on it. If you can share any experiences with this or a similar qnap nas server in a post environment that would be even greater. :)

I also wanted to consider the TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP R2 but its 8000 and as far as i can tell, the major difference to a device like the TS-2483XU-RP is, that its a NAS server for SAS harddrives and it comes with QNAPs extented warranty service.

I know there are a few people here who have a lot of experience with QNAP products so i if i can learn a few things from those experiences, that would be great. :)
    Thanks in advance.

Dennis

The TS-2483XU-RP is a new series for QNAP. This product will allegedly be released at NAB 2019 in April in Las Vegas. To my knowledge, the TVS-ECxx80U-SAS-RP is end of life, and the TS-2483XU-RP will replace it.
    No one has seen this unit, so I cannot begin to tell you how it will perform.

HOWEVER - the new TS-1677XU-RP is out right now (I don't know if the 24 bay is out) - and I just installed it in London for Gramafilm. It appears that you are in Europe - I don't know if you are in the UK. Gramafilm got this from the dealer Span.
    Gramafilm also owns a TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP that I installed for them. I have not heard any complaints yet on the TS-1677XU-RP - but feel free to contact them to see how they like it.

There are lots of new products coming out from QNAP. Some low end units are out now (like the TVS-872XT) which has replaced the old TVS-871T (this is an 8 bay with built in 10G ports for under $2000 US). And of course, the TS-1677XU-RP series (again, I don't know if the 24 bay is available). The TS-1677XU-RP comes with dual Mellanox SFP+ ports. The prices of all these new units is about HALF of what QNAP was charging for the current models - which is pretty amazing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I will do my best to answer them. I called QNAP in the US to ask detailed questions on the TS-xx83XU-RP series, but they seem to know about as much as we do from reading the website page - so I guess we have to wait until April to actually see it.

Bob Zelin

QNAP TS-1677XU-RP
    https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-1677xu-rp
    dual power supplies (easily removable). Free dual 10G SFP+ ports.
    This product is based on the AMD Ryzen, not the Intel CPU

from Span in London -
    https://www.span.com/product/Qnap-19...dant-PSU~68074
    3310 British pounds for the 24 bay with dual 10G SFP+ ports. That is 3835 Euros.

Is this price acceptable to you ?

Bob Zelin

Hi Bob,

thank you for your time and helpful information, i really appreciate the effort you put into providing useful information through forums like this. (among others)
    I am located in europe indeed (germany) and we are not in much of a hurry to purchase something new and from the technical specifications i have about the (upcoming) TS-2483XU-RP make it seem to be a capable NAS server.
    Like i described earlier we are kinda looking for a "beefed up", more enterprise orientated version of the TS-1685, which is a very interesting and affordable NAS, don`t get me wrong but as we are planning with 12x12TB Exos X harddrives (in a RAID6 array)
    the TS-2483XU-RP would offer us to install a second raidset right away, if our storage demands make it necessary. 120TB of usable space (which would be the result of 12x12TB in R6 obviously) is exactly the amount of backup storage that is available to us right now so we wouldn`t like to go beyond that.

Interestingly a few german retailers are announcing availability for the TS-2483XU-RP in mid february.
    The ryzen system is an interesting alternative but too, thanks for the information.

I try to get in touch with Gramafilm as well and ask what kind of experience they have with their QNAPs, its never a bad idea to get those informations from people like who directly work with it instead of relying only on benchmark figures or technical specifications only.

Thank you.
    Dennis

Hi -
    I have done a TS-1685 for Die Filmographen in Munich, Germany.
    I have done a TS-1685 for Rheinklang Media in Cologne Germany
    I have done a TS-1685 for Andreas Fechner Photography in Dusseldorf, Germany.
    I wish I had done a more enterprise QNAP model in Germany (maybe you will be the first one) - but you can contact these guys and see how they like their QNAP.

Bob Zelin

Hi Bob, are you implementing any applications specific to the NAS units such as DAM, transcoding, archiving, etc.?
    - Scarlet 996 -

the QNAP or Synology or Netgear ReadyNAS (or for that matter an AVID Nexis) is a shared storage appliance. It does not offer integrated Digital Asset Management, Transcoding, or Archiving.
    In the real world, most people just want inexpensive shared storage that is fast enough for 4K and 6K editing. For those that want Digital Asset Management, the most popular solutions are Square Box Cat DV
    or Axle Video, both applications that run on a Mac. The solutions that you see offered by dramatically more expensive companies with "integrated DAM" are simply not popular. Even on high end installations, like
    AVID Interplay, this is a separate system, not the AVID Nexis or AVID ISIS (and certainly not the QNAP). As for transcoding, once again, programs like Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor, Divergent Media
    Edit Ready and Imagine Products Prime Transcoder are simple third party Mac applications that do your transcoding. Very few people are using the integrated solutions of these dramatically more expensive systems.
    And why would you - Everyone owns either Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Copmpressor, Edit Ready or Prime Transcoder, and they are all free or inexpensive. Why spend $$20,000 - $30,000 more to have this as a "feature".
    Same with Archiving. Almost everyone who wants LTO Archive will use Imagine Products PreRoll Post, YoYotta LTFS, Tolis BRU, Archiware P5 and perhaps Storage DNA. All third party solutions. These are the solutions that are popular
    with most users that want these features. Most small users that want an LTO will get an MLogic MTape, which comes for free with Hedge Canister software. How do you justify spending tens of thousands of dollars for these add ons,
    when they are readily available independent Mac applications, that are inexpensive, easy to use, and VERY popular with well established track records.

Bob Zelin