Thread: How to void your camera warranty

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    For anyone complaining about how this individual treated a RED camera on YouTube, lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0fi9GjMjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaKmB6dGvtc&app=desktop
    I already knew what it would be before I clicked the link :) Still funny
    Sterling Williams

@sterling.a.williams

RED Scarlet-W
    www.sterlingandrewwilliams.com

Speaking of repair. Does Red can you send older Red Scarlet Dragon cameras for repair when its out of warranty? Paying out of pocket of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
    Jeffery Anderson I am going to have to disagree with you here - what Linus is doing in this video is actually a service to people - and here's why.

He's in a position to not just take it on trust that a RED camera is WAY too complicated for the average person to figure out, service and repair - he can afford to nuke the thing for some dumb idea about making it water cooled.

The spirit of tearing things down just to experiment or learn about them - to not be afraid of destroying things to LEARN about them is an important part of engineering - but most people can't afford to take those sorts of risks. At the same time people often don't respect why thing X costs 10 times more than thing Y despite them doing the same basic things - but thing Y doing it somewhat better.
    Some things are beyond a simple compensation and need invariable technical skills. Us as members of RedUser and owners of Red Cameras, haven't ever met any of the people that have designed the Epic, then the DSMC2. My guess would be the cube architecture was so that you could add on accessories and custom build the shape of the Red to fit your need/application. e.g. you have it bare bones on a gimbal or in a tight spot in a car. but you can also add on and build it out ENG style or shoulder rig

(the caveat to all this is that camera shots haven't changed much and ways of shooting them hasn't changed)

the big questions is, is there a need to add a watercooled system to a Red Camera?
    IMHO, I'd say no. There could be a situation where you have a 45 minute shot with Sound, but the actors and crew would be completely exhausted before the scene ended, so the fans should stay quiet for any normal shot

In this case - Linus has demonstrated EXACTLY how much more complicated, high end and insanely technical the RED DSMC brain is - and likely demonstrated to a lot of people who would be skeptically dismissive 'You know what, there IS a reason why these cameras are so much more expensive than a A7S2' or whatever.

Sure it's done in an entertaining way - but it's much more informative and interesting than purely playing of cult of celebrity reality television - because at least the curiosity teaches you something you didn't know before and adds to the collective pool of knowledge (compared to most reality type content you were describing)
    I'm probably based in this respect, but Linus doesn't seem to acknowledge or understand the needs of feature film crew in concern to cinema cameras

Jarred and Red are always posting a multitude of different camera builds they done over the years. If I remember right, one camera had fiber output to record externally. The Xenomorph had lens motors similar to an ENG cinema lens, wireless video, WIFI and fixed smart-side control with monitor... which is probably where the Ranger started.
    (could be other ones that were posted and I've forgotten or never seen the daylight)

These mods are based on needs of productions, not whatever Linus is doing

No one is stupider for having watched this video - literally everyone who watched it outside of RED engineers and people who work in their production facility knows something more about the insides of a RED camera than they did before.
    IMHO, this stuff changes with each build and just what technology is available to Red at a reasonable cost. Seems like Linus looks at it with the perspective of a Desktop computer, where parts are generic and builds are universal. From what I understand, it isn't that way, because cinema cameras are built ad hominem in a small quantity for a niche market of professional camera departments.

Q: in opening it up would be could I replace certain parts and improve the camera?
    A: probably much more complicated than that, if not impossible

You may not think that knowledge is WORTH the time or cost spent in producing the video, but I think you are misreading both what the audience for this stuff finds entertaining AND the value of someone going through with making entertainment out of demystifying compute and engineering hardware a bit for the general population.
    I personally, don't have enough knowledge of camera engineering to actually understand the components placement in the camera. Also, not to red pill you, but I think you are being incredible generous in thinking that there's any insight into what going on in the Helium in that video
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Johnson View Post
    Come on, there's really no need for this. If you would go so far as to call someone this, then you should probably stay away from the internet.

Some of the replies in this thread act like he's performing some unspeakable act which hurts you on a personal level. This is technology - Linus has always been doing things like this to other electronics/hardware. This is just relevant to our community because it happens to be a RED. If it hurts your eyes that much, stop the video. No harm done, no harm meant. Move along...
    It isn't the double rainbow that gets the views on youtube it's the Autism...
    -Robert Plant

youtube sucks

steve
    colorroomfilms.com
    Epic-W #000592
    Gemini 5K #010961

I think that if he blew up a new Lamboghini he would get more views. This is what his viewers are looking for. BTW I have not watch it and not planning to, I've already wasted 1 minute here haha...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

An update to this thread.
    After long 6 months they just finished reassembling the camera live on Youtube and (sorry for the spoiler) it actually worked!
    And after this craziness, it seems, they are not done quite yet. Now they want to benchmark the reassembled camera performance and then they are planning to do what they originally planned to do- to make a water-cooled Red camera, so they then can compare it's performance with the standard air-cooled camera...

Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    An update to this thread.
    After long 6 months they just finished reassembling the camera live on Youtube and (sorry for the spoiler) it actually worked!
    And after this craziness, it seems, they are not done quite yet. Now they want to benchmark the reassembled camera performance and then they are planning to do what they originally planned to do- to make a water-cooled Red camera, so they then can compare it's performance with the standard air-cooled camera.
    are the fans volume an issue for DSMC2 cameras or anything besides maybe the Red One MX?

is there sponsor Jinnimag?
    -Robert Plant

And it still works.

I can understand cooling the camera more to get better performance but I don’t think they’ll get much better ISO performance than standard and I can imagine the reliability of the camera being a major issue with water cooling. I use the Corsair all-in-one coolers in a few of my computers just to save the headache of real water cooling which has messed up more than a few PCs for me but I still worry about those going out eventually. It is a fun and interesting video to watch if anybody hasn’t seen it yet, it surprises me that they’re even using 8K RED cameras for the channel but if they’ve got the financing to do so I wouldn’t blame them and I know I certainly would for 8K streams down the line.