Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RANGER Custom Rental House Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brennick View Post
    So who's starting this group buy? :-D
    If it comes with internal ND, I will gladly throw down in a group buy. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Would they, though? You could never sell it because everyone would know it was stolen. You would also inevitably tip off everyone that you had one in your possession if you tried to hang onto it and use it yourself.
    I assure you, they would be. I have seen it with my own eyes, where I live, as rental gear theft and rental business break-ins are a big problem here. There's an often overlooked class of gear thief that doesn't steal gear to sell it. They steal it to USE it themselves or to give it to someone they know to use. Many of these music video shooters making rap/hip-hop vids, self-titled phenom photographer/videographer/whatever, and straight-outta-nowhere filmmakers are getting their gear that way and unless they are stupid enough to rent it out, nobody would really know otherwise, unless they got close enough to look. Two rental-owners on this forum had their gear taken by such a crew and by all accounts, they are using it openly to shoot videos and recently made a short film that they plan to put in at Sundance. We've also seen a lot of gear rented or outright stolen in Murica and shipped overseas, directly to the hands of those who want to use it to make whatever they want to make. In foreign countries, nobody gives the slightest care about where gear comes from, so long as it's available and can be used. These particular cameras would be a fat target for such theft because they would be getting professional-oriented versatile kit to use/incorporate into whatever they have going on and if it breaks, they can just steal more whenever. Trust me, these types don't bat an eye at going back to the rental trough for more free gear.

Will this bad boy have 4K out? Time for this to be a standard option! Please, and thanks...

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    ... making rap/hip-hop vids ....

if this thing has ND's i'd loose my mind. makes no sense why we don't have something like this. (xLR IN) omg......
    ---------
    EPIC-W

Looks really nice.
    But from looking at what's there in terms of connectors etc. It seams to me like this is something any third part module maker could make. Nothing is easy offcourse but it's seams to be:

- a video splitter.
    - audio module.
    - power distro.
    - possibly fiz controller.
    - integrated sidekick.

All nicely backed into a "skull" for a stripped camera brain.

Seams like it would be very possible to make so that any dsmc2 could get it's sideplates removed and this "scull module" mounted with in minutes with just a few screws to be tightened.

To me this is all really cool. But what I find even cooler is that our cameras can actually run without all that and just have something like the base i/o attached. That's still one of the key selling point for me. Big studio cameras are great but normally that's not the difficult part part of the game. Getting 8k in a lightweight drone or possible to put it on a gimbal with out adding extra weight suport is tricky. But maybe now when we all had that for a while we take all that for granted and look for the big studio cams instead. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I'll only be troubled if..

It weights much less than a DSMC2 body and production module combo.
    It has improved cooling that allows the chip to function better.
    Has some increased functionality (like higher data rates or frame rates)

Otherwise it looks like the product of the PV non compete coming to a close...good move by Red but it may severely piss of their dealers...

I'd like to see Red eak a bit more performance out of the current cameras (particularly the Monstro) and also developed one final OLPF (no orbs but similar light loss to standard)

PS Is the antenna for TC , audio or LCS?

PPS like the 5 pin audio (much better use of space than 2 x 3pin)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I'll only be troubled if..

It weights much less than a DSMC2 body and production module combo.
    It has improved cooling that allows the chip to function better.
    Has some increased functionality (like higher data rates or frame rates)

Otherwise it looks like the product of the PV non compete coming to a close...good move by Red but it may severely piss of their dealers...

I'd like to see Red eak a bit more performance out of the current cameras (particularly the Monstro) and also developed one final OLPF (no orbs but similar light loss to standard)

PS Is the antenna for TC , audio or LCS?

Antenna is more likely to be wifi. Something similar that wooden camera sell.

Yes better data rates would be great. Even if it was something simple like dual SSD recordings would be huge, prores on one and r3d on the other so we could do 4k prores and not have to limit the bitrate for r3d. But I doubt this comes with any such.

Think the max bitrate is limited by the brain so that probably have to wait for dsmc3. Me guessing.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    To me this is all really cool. But what I find even cooler is that our cameras can actually run without all that and just have something like the base i/o attached. That's still one of the key selling point for me. Big studio cameras are great but normally that's not the difficult part part of the game. Getting 8k in a lightweight drone or possible to put it on a gimbal with out adding extra weight suport is tricky. But maybe now when we all had that for a while we take all that for granted and look for the big studio cams instead. :)
    I agree - this is one of the super nice things about the modular system RED has always done to separate itself out from the competition. We can be as studio-ready or run-and-gun as we like. This Ranger is just a nice new addition for rental houses :D

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Agreed.
    Not to mention incorporating phantom power...

Interesting ergonomics in play for run and gun operators between the built-in rosette(s) and half shoulder cut.

Very nice design overall.