Thread: Zhiyun Crane 2 working with Raven

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Zhiyun Crane 2 working with Raven 
    For anyone curious, I was able to mount my Raven body, w/VLOCK IO, 4.7" LCD, and pancake 24mm Canon lens on the Zhiyun Crane 2 gimbal with success. I ended up getting a dummy VLOCK plate and strapped it to the dual handlebar. That let me mount the battery on the handlebars, and run a coiled DTAP to DSMC (angled) connector to the Raven for power. I did have to use a longer'ish (is that a word?) Manfrotto plate so that I could slide the Raven far enough forward on the Crane mount. After turning the motor strength up to the highest setting, it was working pretty well. Sure, it's not a Movi Pro... but I can't strap a Movi Pro to my backpack, either. :)

Ronin S as well but not my favorite setup.

No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Hey Kwan, that setup seems like a good configuration, and the wiring tips are great.

I opted for a setup that kept the 4.7" on the camera body itself, which let me switch everything between the gimbal and a tripod very quickly... like within a minute. However, my setup does not include a follow focus, so I'm limited to the "stay in the same range from the subject" filming method.

And I'd agree that the Ronin S and/or Zhiyun Crane 2 are not the "best" setup, but pretty mobile, and quite affordable.

I'll be interested to see how the Moza Air X pans out... 6kg payload is on par with the ACS Beast. The handle configuration is questionable, but I don't want to pre-judge before it's in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin D'Haeze View Post
    And I'd agree that the Ronin S and/or Zhiyun Crane 2 are not the "best" setup, but pretty mobile, and quite affordable.
    Agreed, the reason I said is "not my favorite setup" because I built that with the only available accessories we have. Not planing to buy any specific accessories just for Ronin S since there will be Ronin T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z so on every month (lol).

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Kwan, do you use a REC trigger button? I'd like to mount one to the handlebar grip so that I can start/stop without touching the cam. I've seen a few around the market, but no good reviews.

Kwan, do you use a REC trigger button?
    Yes, I use Tilta DSMC2 Run/Stop Cable (connect Handgrip to Raven)

For anyone curious, I was able to mount my Raven body, w/VLOCK IO, 4.7" LCD, and pancake 24mm Canon lens on the Zhiyun Crane 2 gimbal with success. I ended up getting a dummy VLOCK plate and strapped it to the dual handlebar. That let me mount the battery on the handlebars, and run a coiled DTAP to DSMC (angled) connector to the Raven for power. I did have to use a longer'ish (is that a word?) Manfrotto plate so that I could slide the Raven far enough forward on the Crane mount. After turning the motor strength up to the highest setting, it was working pretty well. Sure, it's not a Movi Pro... but I can't strap a Movi Pro to my backpack, either. :)
    Hi Kevin, Curious *what Dtap to Lemo cable did you use? I found one the DJI Ronin-M Power Cable for RED DSMC Cameras, but wasn't sure if you'd recommend a different one.

I have seen other cables that are Dtap to 4-pin Lemo, but I'm not sure if they are all the same when it comes to 4-pin Lemo or if there is special circuitry for a RED specific Lemo.

Thanks -George

Hey George, I got one from eBay and it works great... seems well-made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Scarlet...72.m2749.l2649