Thread: What Lens to get Next....

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 What Lens to get Next.... 
    Been thinking the last few weeks on what direction to move next with new lens, so this is a bit of a long post but any help would be great.

I shoot on a Raven system and plan to upgrade to Gemini in the next 12-16 months, maybe sooner but all depends.

Right now my main lenses are the Tokina 12-28 F4 and the older Nikon 50-300 ED, I love the Nikon and think its perfect what most of my work since I do a lot of outdoor stuff.

Right now Im looking at getting some lens that are smaller and sharper for everyday work. I'm looking at getting either the Nikon 28-70 2.8 and the 80-200 ED 2.8 as a kit, or the Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 lens kit.

I like the Nikon since it covers full frame, has a bigger range, and I already use my 50-300 Nikon as well as a 60mm Nikon in my kit so I am used to the focus and zoom going backward.

I like the Sigmas since they are very sharp, a great build can be sent to GL optics to rehoused into cinema lens when that time comes (I think Nikon I can as well just don't know the cost or who does it). I also like having the 1.8 over the 2.8 of the Nikons.

From my thinking, neither is a bad choice and both can do what I want. Both are in the same price ranges as well so that doesn't come into play. Would love to hear thoughts and ideas on what I should do. Thank You

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Gemini full frame is wider than S35 and even wider than Helium FF, but Dragon-X 5K FF is not much wider than Raven FF. So on paper, you are probably going to want lenses with slightly wider image circles than S35.

So in the future if you go with a VV sensor like Monstro, you might argue that you can use the existing SLR lenses on it. But you're now spending way more on the camera than you are on the lenses! Is that wise? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Will a Nikon 28-70/2.8 really have 8K worth of resolution wide open, and right to the corners? Maybe, I don't know. I'm guessing not. You sure as hell won't be getting 8K out of the Helium with that lens, AFAIK.

Leica's 35-70/4 R is apparently really good - but alas, it doesn't go out to 28mm. And it's not exorbitantly expensive. Even with a focal length reducer, you'll only get 23mm at the wide end - you really would prefer 18mm. And, further, there still is no FE mount that I know of for DSMC2. I don't even know if it's possible.

My opinion, and this is just me: stay with S35 or S35+, and use S35 lenses with a 1.4x TC if you need to for Gemini.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Beautiful still images on the Nikons but the moving front on the 28-70 and the breathing on the 80-200 make both unsuitable as cinema glass IMO. I actually like the 17-35 the best of the Nikons. I hear better things about the Sigmas though.

If you like Nikons as I do, a little sleeper is the 25-50mm F4. True zoom lens and a stunner. Short, small and inexpensive. The only drawback is that the front element rotates like your 50-300 and many earlier zooms of that era such as Angenieux and Zeiss. I found one even in PL mount rehoused with gears for $300 on ebay It is full frame 35mm. I love this little wonder.

Thank you for all the help, after talking with a few more people, I think right now the Sigma is the way to go. I have no plans to move to Monstro any time soon and if I rent then that means I have the money to rent the better glass as well so not that big of an issue.

Follow your instincts...you won't be sorry with those Sigma lenses.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Sigma ART as a photo version have a ridiculously small focus throw. They are not the best in terms of geometry, but are fairly good to match with common cine-lenses aperture-wise. I often use them to scout locations, before shooting on Zeiss Ultraprimes.
    Beware of Nikon versions of Sigma Art - the aperture often doesn't work. Canon versions are ok.

I do love Nikon glass as photo lenses - they are awesome comparing to others (contax, canon, etc). But speaking as of serious investment to do cinema jobs - I don't think so.

The plan right now is to buy the two Sigma lens and get some jobs in the bag this year with them and then send them in to GL Optics later this year and have them rehoused since I dont have the funds to buy the Sigma Cine off the bat.

Any reviews of GL Optics?